Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas smell/Vapor Lock question (quick responses please)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 11:31 AM
Pistol Pete
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should they carry this Lucas injector cleaner at any auto shop? (Checker, something like that...) or is it an online purchase?
Old 08-06-2006, 12:45 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was a little hard to find a couple of years ago but everyplace seems to carry it now. Word must have got around. It is in a tall skinny bottle and it may take a couple of tanks to make a difference.

If this doesn't work, I would pull the rail and do the drip test and check fuel preasure. If they look bad, take the injectors off and bring them to a shop for cleaning. Most large diesel repair shops do this or have connections to shops that clean them.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:04 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Take your injectors to a shop for cleaning. Try a place that services big rig diesel fuel systems for the best price.

Sounds like you need a professional opinion as they are likely your problem imo.

There is always pressure in the fuel rail, stop talking the end cap off.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:27 PM
Pistol Pete
Instructor

PO's mechanic told him to pull the endcap and drain the pressure when it wouldn't start in the heat. That's what I've been doing and thats the only thing that seems to work. I've decided to take it into a mech this week and run some tests on fuel pressure to narrow this problem down.

So as to previous responses regarding fuel pressure: now that i've retapped the endcap I no longer get gas leakage/smell. But, the starting problem remains. First thing in the morning it starts wonderfully. I can drive it for a bit and park it, it wont start 30 minutes later. I thought high pressure was causing the gas leak, but that doesn't seem to be the case as that issue has been eliminated. Could it still be an issue with the pressure regulator or the release valve?
Old 08-09-2006, 07:13 PM
Pistol Pete
Instructor

spoke with a mechanic, he's gonna take a look at it and run some tests during the "no start" period between about 30 minutes and 3 hours after a drive.

Quick Reply: Gas smell/Vapor Lock question (quick responses please)