Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Recharge car died (new info)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 11:45 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

Yeah - shouldn't a good alternator put out around 14v? Anything less than 12v won't run the car and charge the battery.....
Old 08-03-2006, 12:10 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The brushes on the regulator should be sticking out, one shorter than the other usually. They shoudl be able to be pushed in with a little pressure, and spring themselves back out. they eventually wear out to little stubs. They are like 1/4 to 1/2 an inch long when new I think.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:12 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not a 944 one, but very similar...
Old 08-03-2006, 09:45 AM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dan,

Check the voltage regulator first. If it's that you can probably get one overnighted from somewhere pretty easily.

If you are really in a bind I can lend you my old one. It has a a bad bearing so it makes your car sound super charged (remember?), but it charges fine. It would be a bandaid fix while you get yours rebuilt or wait for a new one. I need it back b/c I have to send it in as a core.

I would try to avoid that (I wouldn't want to have to do that job twice in a row). But if you're really in a jam let me know.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:40 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by arbeitm
Dan,

Check the voltage regulator first. If it's that you can probably get one overnighted from somewhere pretty easily.

If you are really in a bind I can lend you my old one. It has a a bad bearing so it makes your car sound super charged (remember?), but it charges fine. It would be a bandaid fix while you get yours rebuilt or wait for a new one. I need it back b/c I have to send it in as a core.

I would try to avoid that (I wouldn't want to have to do that job twice in a row). But if you're really in a jam let me know.
Matt - Thanks. I did find a few in the area that I can get by noon. A place in Shirley said he can rebuild it too. Cost is about $220. Autozone said he can get one for later and it is $150. But then started telling me the Voltage regulator is internal. He did say since the volts and amps are low that is sounds like the regulator and the alternator.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:28 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

http://motors.search.ebay.com/search...fsoo%3D1&fgtp=
Old 08-03-2006, 12:49 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

He needs it like now. Autocross is on Sunday.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:30 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

He needs it like now. Autocross is on Sunday.
So true. Ordered alternator from a service/dismanter by me. Should be there 4:30. They are going to swap the pulley for me. Now off to Roslyn Porsche to pick up the gasket for the shroud on the back. Then picking up a battery charger to charge battery which is totally dead again. Then the install which I hope goes smoother than the extraction.

Matt - How long did you spin that bottom bolt before you realized there was a bolt on the other side to hold? My arm hurts! then took out the bolt from the a/c compressor thinking it was the bolt from the alternator. Said "Boy that came out easy! What is everyone bellyaching about?" Oops!!
Old 08-03-2006, 01:48 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jeeper31
Matt - How long did you spin that bottom bolt before you realized there was a bolt on the other side to hold? My arm hurts! then took out the bolt from the a/c compressor thinking it was the bolt from the alternator. Said "Boy that came out easy! What is everyone bellyaching about?" Oops!!
Problem for me wasn't realizing the bolt had a nut behind it. It was getting enough room to spin a wrench or rachet. You have to turn it inch by inch. PITA!
Old 08-03-2006, 06:12 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Problem for me wasn't realizing the bolt had a nut behind it. It was getting enough room to spin a wrench or rachet. You have to turn it inch by inch. PITA!
I have an air impact ratchet so I just push a button and sit back and relax. Wish I thought about it before i started.

I now have everying i need. The alternator, the gasket for the shroud and new nuts BUT it is so hot that I don't feel like installing it.

Last edited by jeeper31; 08-03-2006 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:39 PM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

There's something funny about having started a project because it's too hot, only to put it off for the same reason...
Old 08-03-2006, 07:42 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by orbix
There's something funny about having started a project because it's too hot, only to put it off for the same reason...
Isn't it ironic? Don't ya think?
Old 08-03-2006, 09:36 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Default A great big THANKS!!!!

I would just like to thank everybody and anybody who has helped me with this project. The new alternator is in, running and charging the battery fine. Gauge in the car reads a little more than 12 volts. I have also added the rest of the r134a and the air conditioning is ice cold. For the first time I was getting condensation on the outside of the windows.

I would also like to thank the academy, my parents and friends because without them this moment would not be possible.

All kidding aside, this is such a great place. It is so refreshing and comfortin to know that so many people are willing to help out. I would be lost without this place. If I could I would buy everyone a drink. But since I can't i think I'll just have a drink for everyone. (Matt and Jon i'll get you guys one on Sunday if we go out after event).

I'm finally cool and outta here!!!!!
Old 08-04-2006, 01:35 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Dan, i can probably goto Hooters or something afterwards, but dont know if ill drink.. i am 155lbs and asian. I get drunk off maybe 4 beers . Also ill be around defenetley sunday, my conflicting event is not until next week.

Need to charge up my a/c also.. been meaning to do it but never have the time.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:28 AM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Dan, i am 155lbs and asian. I get drunk off maybe 4 beers
LOL.

Dan - just keep bring those extra gatorades and PB&J's.

I'll see about Sunday, I'm sure wherever you guys are going afterwards, it's going to end up being further into Long Island.

Quick Reply: A/C Recharge car died (new info)