Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Recharge car died (new info)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 06:50 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by josephsc
If it went to zero because you disconnected the jumper cable -- the problem probably lies right there. I'd bet your battery is dead -- how old is it? It's a super easy fix.
I have the car about 2 years and have had the battery checked a few times and it was ok. (not saying it can't be bad now) so it is at least 2 years old.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:54 PM
jpk
Burning Brakes

I typically don't like to mess with batteries - at the first sign of a problem, I just replace it. Costco and Sam's are great places to get replacements.

The question remains though - is it your battery or the alternator/regulator. If the battery won't hold a charge, (i.e, you charge it fully, come out two hours later and the voltage is down a couple of volts) it's toast. If the alternator won't charge, it's likely the regulator is toast.

A fully charged battery alone (no alternator) should be able to run the car for a few hours.

The wiper speed is a good indicator of alternator output - you should see a noticable increase in how fast they move when the car is running.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:38 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a rating on the battery, not cca, but another one i forget what the letters are... it is how many minutes it can run the car with no alternator and a full charge.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:25 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

At least you got A/C
Old 08-02-2006, 08:31 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by Rock
At least you got A/C
LOL. So true. But it's a waste because I can't close the windows now.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:45 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Battery was dead so brought it to Autozone who charged it and tested it and said it was good. Brought battery home put it in car and drove back to Autozone for them to check the alternator. They said the alternator was putting out 11.0 volts and 25.6 amps. Is this right? If not I need an alternator. If they are correct values what's next?

I also had them test it with the fuse to the a/c out and got the same values.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:52 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alternator is bad. It could just be the regulator portion of it which can be replaced for cheap and isn't to hard to do (although you will need to access the back of the alternator).
Old 08-02-2006, 09:56 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mike C.
Alternator is bad. It could just be the regulator portion of it which can be replaced for cheap and isn't to hard to do (although you will need to access the back of the alternator).
Is it definately bad? I'm at the point I don't care what it is... I just want to know what it is so I can fix it. What should the values be?
Old 08-02-2006, 10:09 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Didn't they tell you that it's bad? -That alternator should put out 13-to-14 volts, and should be good for 90 amperes or so... Eleven volts and 25 Amps is mizz-err-ah-bull performance.

Keith
Old 08-02-2006, 10:11 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

The guy didn't seem to know what he was doing. I am glad it is as bad as you say and I can be positive. Didnt' want any borderline results..
Old 08-02-2006, 10:22 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Dan, the place that rebuilt your starter can probably rebuild the alternator also.

I have a brand new voltage regulator, the part which wears out usually if you need it. Should not be to difficult to change it. It would require atleast removal of the AFM and the airbox.. not sure whatelse on your car.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:40 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

you need to charge the battery with a charger, the alternator won't bring it up.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:49 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Dan, the place that rebuilt your starter can probably rebuild the alternator also.

I have a brand new voltage regulator, the part which wears out usually if you need it. Should not be to difficult to change it. It would require atleast removal of the AFM and the airbox.. not sure whatelse on your car.
Jon - Thanks. Will let you know. Was planning on taking alternator out as soon as I drop the kids off at camp and bringing it there. They are very nice and I am sure will help me out if they can. Will let you know if I need the regulator. I am sure they will test mine and tell me what it needs. You going to be aroudn tomorrow if I need it?

I think the airbox, AFM and belt that needs to come off. If all goes well should be up and running by tomorrow afternoon. Then the big question.....

Should I continue charging the a/c system? I have another can and a half of r-134a to add. Did the drain from the compressor ruin the alternator? Now I am thinking that th e car might not have started as strong as it does when I pyulled it out of the garage to do the a/c. Wish I pay more attention.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:11 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Before you take the alternator out completley, unscrew the regulator (two screws) on the back of the alternator and check the brushes. They are spring loaded and will recess back into the regulator housing. If they dont stick out much anymore from the housing the regulator is probably shot. If the brushes still stick out.. the alternator itself probably needs a rebuild or should be replaced.

There is probably a cooling shround on the back side of the alternator.. its a pain in the *** to take out, but this needs to come off before you can access the alternator.

Its possible its just a coincedence that this happened the same time you charged the a/c. Who knows. Ill be around tomorrow.. in Freeport from 1-6pm about. Ill be home from then on (or probably hanging out at Bagel Boss). Call my cell if you need it... ill leave it in the glove box so i have it on hand.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:30 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Before you take the alternator out completley, unscrew the regulator (two screws) on the back of the alternator and check the brushes. They are spring loaded and will recess back into the regulator housing. If they dont stick out much anymore from the housing the regulator is probably shot. If the brushes still stick out.. the alternator itself probably needs a rebuild or should be replaced.

There is probably a cooling shround on the back side of the alternator.. its a pain in the *** to take out, but this needs to come off before you can access the alternator.

Its possible its just a coincedence that this happened the same time you charged the a/c. Who knows. Ill be around tomorrow.. in Freeport from 1-6pm about. Ill be home from then on (or probably hanging out at Bagel Boss). Call my cell if you need it... ill leave it in the glove box so i have it on hand.
Thanks Jon. Will let you know. When I take the regulator off will the brushes stick out or will they be recessed and i have to pull them out to see where they sit. I saw the shroud and it looks cramped down there. Hopefully the acces will get easier when I take off the box and AFM. Maybe if all is done I'll meet you at bagel boss. I love that place.

Quick Reply: A/C Recharge car died (new info)