Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In need of advice...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 10:47 PM
Drewsifer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In need of advice...

I'm faced with a very unpleasent reality. My car (1988 944 N/A), my dream car, is slowly turning into a nightmare. I had trouble passing emissions (easily fixed, just costed money), its been keyed, the transmission is having a problem I haven't had time to get checked out, and the interior is in desperate need of some TLC.

I'm more or less a total novice with cars. I can change brake pads and calipers, all fluids, spark plugs, and most filters. Aside from that, I know nothing about how to fix a car (although I'm trying to learn). My question is, is it worth it to keep my baby? I love my car so much, but it seems that I'm either going to have to get in way over my head and try to fix things myself, or spend money I dont have to get everything running correctly.

Being single and in the army, I don't have a garage. There are garage faculities on base, but they have hours of operation. Its fully stocked, and cheap. And I have mechnique friends who can help me. I want to keep the car, and try to fix it, but I'm worried I would just make things worse, both with car and my check book.

Should I just sell the car and cover my losses, or suck it up and drive on? Advice for a young 944 owner please!
Old 07-31-2006, 10:58 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, what are the current problems (real or suspected)?

Having the base hobby garage (or whatever the office title is) is a huge advantage over most of the rest of us. Anyway, with the resources here, if you are willing to learn, you may be in good shape. It's down to what is wrong and how willing you are.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:04 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

With the advantage of a cheap garage and a resource like rennlist (insert plug for membership here!) you should be able to keep your car going relatively inexpensively.....depending upon what's wrong with it as George said!
Old 07-31-2006, 11:50 PM
yellow9ll
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PM sent
Old 08-01-2006, 12:05 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche" - unknown

The 944's sale price has dropped enough for people to buy a 20yo car they cannot afford to maintain, that same demographic supports that the previous owner typically enjoyed driving the car without maintaining or correcting problems.

These cars have been amazingly durable and would not surprise me to be on the road another 20 years.

Quick Reply: In need of advice...