Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calgary area rennlisters, help me save my car (long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 01:14 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Calgary area rennlisters, help me save my car (long)

As usual, my car is giving me hard time at the most inconvenient time possible in my life.
I am about to get married (the 27th of july), and I will be leaving Calgary to move to Kelowna/Vernon at the end of august (probably the 27th or 28th). I need to either sell my 951, or have it in good mechanical shape by then, because when I move I will no longer have a garage to work in. Almost all of my money is tied up in a downpayment for a house/condo, but I managed to talk the fiancee into allowing some money back out of the house fund in an effort to save my 951.

I am hoping that perhaps some of the Calgary area rennlisters might be able to pop in and give me a hand in saving my car, because if I can't get it properly repaired by the end of August, I will be forced to get rid of it.

Right now the to-do list includes:
Remove engine, replace oil pan gasket, install 2-3 helicoils in oil pan bolt holes, replace oil pickup tube seal, replace steering rack bushings, possibly helicoil steering rack mounting bolt holes, replace power steering lines and resevoir, replace wheel bearings on all 4 corners, bleed brakes, replace throwout bearing and possibly clutch fork. If time is left over, I would like to install my oil drain plug temperature sensor and an oil temperature gauge, but that will only take 20 minutes or so. I am hoping this will give me some insight into why my oil pressure can dip down to 1 bar at warm idle.

I am certain there are more things to do, but that is the general outline of it.
I have set aside the August long weekend (5th, 6th, 7th) for this project, and I will most likely start on the friday evening (the 4th) just to get a jump on it.
At present, I have jack stands, a large jack, an engine hoist and an engine stand secured, and a truck to transport everything.

Right now I need:
PEOPLE - spare hands, expertise, a sense of humor, anything. This is a lot of work for one person.
Tools - motive power bleeder, some triple square bits, wheel bearing tools, and any other handy things (like a spare set of wrenches or two, wobble extensions, etc.).

In trade for these things, I will offer refreshments (pop, beer, water, whatever), food (pizza, perhaps other take-out, or I might even be able to bring up a BBQ), and my heartfelt appreciation.

This is a big job for one person, but if I must I will spend every night sleeping in that car until it is done. The long weekend is probably going to be my only shot at getting the car taken care of, and if it is not in tip top mechanical shape by the end of august, I will have to trade it in on a new car. I have no place to leave it behind here, and no where to work on it in BC until probably next year. I can do oil changes but that is about it.

The rough schedule is as follows:
I will start on it friday evening. If anybody wants to, they can show up then as well. Hopefully I will have the engine fully disconnected by the end of the evening, and possibly on the ground. I hope to have all 4 wheels off, and the car securely supported on jack stands by the night's end.
Saturday will be cleaning (the engine is a MESS), and removal of all old/broken/worn out parts.
Sunday will be re-assembly, and perhaps even re-installlation of the engine.
Monday is set aside for fudge time. If we can't get the engine in sunday, it will go in on monday.

I am hoping to leave the engine mostly assembled when it is removed in an attempt to save time, hopefully just the crossover pipe and accessories (PS pump and A/C compressor) will be removed.

I apologize for such a long post. If anybody in the area is able to help me out at all, please either post here or PM me, and let me know what you would like in exchange for helping out. To anybody who even went so far as to read this entire post, thank you.

Hopefully this post made at least a little bit of sense
Old 07-23-2006, 02:44 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suppose I could also offer some spare parts to people who come out to help?
I have lots of left-overs from parting my 86 944, and some other used stuff I bought for my 951. Engines, transmissions and spare blocks won't go for free, but lots of other stuff probably can. I'd rather not move it all anyways.
We could make it sort of a garage sale (give-away)/repair party.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:50 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Chris...just got back from vacation and replied to your pm. Your welcome to the brake bleeder and I have most, if not all, the tools you need. The exception is the 9201 tool as that's in Monterey, MA. with another Rennlister.

I would love to help you but you picked a weekend I'm working ( from Friday to Tuesday)...and after 13 or so hours there is not much left of me.

Quick Reply: Calgary area rennlisters, help me save my car (long)