Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uh-oh - broke coil lug....

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 03:23 PM
sbyrne
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uh-oh - broke coil lug....

Changing the plugs and wires today on my '84. Decided to start with the coil-to-distributor wire. Popped right off on the distributor end, but required BIG force on the coil end. Had to use pliers,...I know, I know, but I wasn't worried about destroying the wire since it was being replaced anyway. Well, when it finally came off, the terminal from the center of the coil came with it. It plugged right back in, but I'm afraid of it. Do I need to replace the coil? Can I test it without fear of damaging anything else?
Old 07-22-2006, 10:28 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

if it doesnt start, good chance thats the problem, if you need one, i have my old one i removed Dont know if it works, because there was an aftermarket one installed, i bought new because of impulse buying, so i have an old OEM bosch one that might work, and an aftermarket one that i know works (big square blue thing)
Old 07-23-2006, 01:47 PM
sbyrne
Racer

Update - put the terminal back in the coil, connected the wire to the coil and distributor and .... started right up. Whew. Gonna go ahead and buy a new coil anyway, just to be sure. Some random thoughts: As I've read elsewhere on this forum, the boots on Magnacore wires on the plug end are a less than perfect fit (don't seal as well around the plug hole as the OEM's do); car definitely runs better (smoother) with new plugs and wires; kinda disappointed in the response to the post (thanks, Andrew) - weekend? nobody else encountered this problem? not (yet) a member?
Old 07-23-2006, 02:36 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you put the post back in, see how hard it is to pull back out again. If it still requires significant force, it was probably just a press-fit to begin with, and it's perfectly fine.
If it comes out easily, then you should replace the coil. They are only ~$40 for a new one, which is much cheaper than plug wires

Quick Reply: Uh-oh - broke coil lug....