Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nyah!Nyah!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 07:39 AM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nyah!Nyah!

Tommorrow morning, or maybe affternoon, I get to drive a Boxster, BoxsterS, Carrerra s, Cayenne, Cayman.
Porsche Club Cairns members get first demos up here. about a 160km drive (100ml) with lots of twisties and lots of car changes.
I am led to beleive from the Porsche sales manager that the Cayenne is disgustingly fast on the road.
For reference:
The basic Boxster is $AUD108k
Prices rise from there!
Old 07-22-2006, 12:42 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Angry

Just couldn't keep it to yourself now could you, had to destroy all our happiness and turn it in to jealousy!!
Old 07-22-2006, 01:23 PM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Concourse motors in Milwaukee, WI will bring down new cars for us to test drive ON THE TRACK. I am not sure who else does this, but what a great dealership!
Old 07-22-2006, 02:16 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Oooh, we're jealous, you get to drive a Cayenne.

Have fun!
Old 07-22-2006, 02:43 PM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new cars have no character. They are too dependable. I mean, you'll be out just DRIVING instead of planning and budgeting for tools, parts, upgrades, and future breakdowns. It just takes money to own a new car; it takes a Renaissance Man (and money) to own one of these old Porsches!!
Old 07-23-2006, 02:46 AM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chrly924s
The new cars have no character. They are too dependable. I mean, you'll be out just DRIVING instead of planning and budgeting for tools, parts, upgrades, and future breakdowns. It just takes money to own a new car; it takes a Renaissance Man (and money) to own one of these old Porsches!!
You summed it up perfectly, should start a new thread with just that.

I'd love to take the new cars for a test drive or even own one but never trade my old girlfriend for it.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:55 AM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yellowline
Oooh, we're jealous, you get to drive a Cayenne.

Have fun!
Joel
There is only ONE Cayenne in FNQ. I've seen it only once. Who cares, it's a Porsche!
Old 07-23-2006, 05:28 AM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default A report with pics

What a day. Great cars. Lots of twisties. Lots of straight road.
The day started with lunch, provided by Porsche Australia, at Paradise Palms Golf Club. Paradise Palms is about 1 mile from my house and is consistently rated in the top 10 public courses in Australia.

We then moved outside to the cars for famil and safety talks

In order, I drove the Boxster S up the mountain. Lots of twisties and great fun. If only the 944 accelerated like that. Probably because of the bends this car was my favourite.

We changed cars after about 30mins and I got into the Cayman S. I only got to drive this on the flat but the bonus was that there was very little traffic and I got it up to 200kph. The fastest I have ever been in a motor vehicle.

Next off was the Carrera. I was fortunate enough to drive this beast DOWN another mountain. You get spoiled in a 944 with no power steering. You know its limits and can push them. I was really chuffed that I got the Traction Control to kick in a few times in the curves coming down the hill. Unfortunately we encountered an idiot driving a Toyota Camry who took exception to being overtaken by a bunch of p-cars and tried to keep up and delibirately blocked any passing moves. Moron!

Then into the Cayenne. The guys from Porsche insisted it was a sports car not an SUV. As far as I can tell they are right. I drove it in manual mode along the coast highway from Port Douglas to Paradise Palms. Lots of traffic, minimal overtaking opportunities. When called upon to go, it went, after dropping down a couple of gears. I am not an SUV fan by any stretch of the imagination, but if I was then this would be the one.

Got the Cayenne close to the Carrerra, then,

Picked up some nice Porsche posters, some books and experience.
If I ever win lotto then it will either be a Boxster S or a Cayman [right after I get that 951!]
I surprised the guys when I said that I preferred my 22y.o. 944 to the new ones.
A fantastic day. A unique opportunity. Thank you Porsche Australia and Brisbane Porsche Centre.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:10 AM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's only just starting to sink in that after the adrenelin rush of Sunday that:
. I drove a $250k+ car fast enough to lose traction
. a $130k+ car at 200kph
. drove stupidly and dangerously in a SUV that's worth nearly as much as my house
. the cheapest car that I drove was about $120k
. I shall never own one of these cars unless they accept firstborns as downpayment!

Geez it was fun!

Old 07-25-2006, 08:31 AM
BrianAg95
Racer

Unless I win a lottery or something I am right there with you. Shoot I felt like I was spending a lot buying the 944.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:52 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

beeg!!! WAtch out!! You're driving on the wrong side of the road!!! You're gonna get killed if you keep pulling stunts like that!!!!

-Z
Old 07-25-2006, 09:35 PM
klaasand
Intermediate

" It just takes money to own a new car; it takes a Renaissance Man (and money) to own one of these old Porsches!! "

Okay guys I take exception to that. Afterall there are some strike that - there is at least one girl here who loves her 1988 944S. There are a few Renaissance women! And having driven in and around Brisbane in Aust. etc. as well as here in No. California I can say that my Porsche is very happy to have me as an owner and would only consider a Cayenne sister if I were to win the Lottery! That must have been an absolute blast! Good on ya mate!

Quick Reply: Nyah!Nyah!