Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two oil related problems...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 12:11 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Two oil related problems...

These might be connected in some way, or completely independent. My car is a 1990 944 S2.

First, I've noticed that recently I get the oil pressure warning indicator light staying on with the [!] general warning upon start-up. It only happens if I don't park on a level surface. If I park on the flat, all fine. If I start up after parking on even a fairly minor slope, it may show up. I get the impression it's getting more sensitive to the slope... it used to be only a problem on fairly steep grades, now it seems parking on even a fairly minor grade will set this off.

FWIW, the oil pressure gauge during driving is showing 5 bar, 3 at idle when warm, which it has always done. Oil level is OK. Mobil 1, with about 6000 miles on it and the filter (it's about time for a change).

Second issue: Looking under the car today, I noticed evidence of some sort of engine oil leak... quite a film of oil on the fins of the oil sump, for example, and some oil was coating the aluminium A-arm on the left side. I've cleaned it off with some brake cleaner, but my questions are:

What the likeliest cause of either problem? Could they be related in any way?

TIA for any advice.

-Mark
Old 07-22-2006, 12:43 AM
silverBean
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would assume, (and keep in mind what happens when you assume), sounds like it is the near the oil cooler. Unless the A-arm is driver side. Also, minor leak, you have a bit less oil therefore when you park on a slope, you have lesss oil, hence the light. The only problem i see in my second assumption is your pressures are good. But you can be missing half a quart and have great pressure. Just my thoughts. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Two oil related problems...