Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to unchrome rims?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 03:10 AM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to unchrome rims?

I found a set of chrome 17" star wheels near me w/ spacers (were on an early), but they're chrome. Not sure if I like that. If I were to get these, can chrome be removed, assuming it's plating? To my limited knowledge, I don't think it's a paint-type coating, so I'm not sure if aircraft stripper would work.

Also, would I really need 968 caster blocks or other beefy suspension parts for bigger wheels? Not tracking the car, but I want everything to hold up on the street. Thanks.

Last edited by yellowline; 07-21-2006 at 04:14 AM.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:55 AM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Another question- what do you guys with newer wheels do for a spare tire? My parents are on me to get a spare of some sort. I bought a set of cookie cutters to make a spare (now FS I guess), but it doesn't fit under the hatch carpet. I don't want to trust the collapsible and I doubt it works.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:55 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Chrome is an electro plating process and I dont think it will attach directly to alum, so there is likely a layer of nickel plated to the wheel, then the chrome is plated to the nickel. There is prep/polishing required so the final plating finish will be smooth, so the wheel surface has been worked on and altered from factory original.

To remove the chrome and nickel, you would have to have it acid etched off by a professional plater, which will also somewhat attack the alum. It would be expensive. I dont think it can be sand blasted off, since the chrome is much harder than the alum, it would probably destroy the wheels in the process.

If you dont like the chrome, I would stay away from the wheels.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:08 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

OK. I like the Boxster and 968 16" star wheels better anyways. Probably fit the car better and are cheaper when getting new tires, while still modernizing the car.

If anybody has a set with tires and decent tread, I'm interested...
Old 07-21-2006, 12:16 PM
mein51
Racer

Originally Posted by yellowline
Another question- what do you guys with newer wheels do for a spare tire? My parents are on me to get a spare of some sort. I bought a set of cookie cutters to make a spare (now FS I guess), but it doesn't fit under the hatch carpet. I don't want to trust the collapsible and I doubt it works.
Sounds like to me you've got 4 spares Get AAA or always keep a friends number to get you one of your other wheels. The only time I used my inflatable spare was when I had a flat... and used it for a hub-mounted jackstand.
As for real advice, I have none
Old 07-21-2006, 05:12 PM
jjjr944
Racer

I found a local plating shop that will strip/dip the chrome from alum. wheels for $50 each. You still have to either polish or sand, prime and paint them when done.
Media blasting is another option on the chrome.

I'll let you know in August how the Fuchs come out after I get them paid for &dipped...

Jerry

Quick Reply: Best way to unchrome rims?