Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice - Maintanence

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 09:57 AM
BrianAg95
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice - Maintanence

Ok if you read my other Rant, here is the results....

I need to decide what all I need to have done to the 944 since I have no maintanence records.

T-Belt for sure, what else?

Inspect the water pump/replace?

I sadlyhave to pay to have this work done as I donot have tools or a garge over here to do any of it myself. (that and I work 6 days a week, so 1 day off a week leaves me little time to put in wrnch hours)

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:59 PM
RM512
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did I read in your other post your speedo wasn't working? Any idea on mileage?
IIRC, most people do rod bearings around 90K, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
That said, how nuts do you want to go with $$?
Old 07-20-2006, 01:04 AM
BrianAg95
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the speedo was not working when I bought the car. The milage reads 83000KM which is around 55-60k Miles. I did ask how long it was not working and the answer was less than honest. (1000k) I could be wrong, maybe he was telling the truth, but I highly doubt it considering the rest of the transaction. Admittedly this isn't like the states and it is very easy to have lower milage around here. there are not many road trips from here, and the ones yuo can take are relatively short. Our company car we have used for a year has 12000km on it in a year, and it was our only car.

I have no doubts none of the 60k service has been performed so I am looking at that in the least...

I don't want to go totally nuts, but I do want a reliable car and I would rather spend some "breakdown insurance money" up front than after a problem.

So from Clark's garage I figure I should do basically a 30,000/60,000 mile service

Change Engine Oil and Filter
Check tension and condition of timing (and balance shaft) drive belts. - REPLACE
Check tension and condition of V-Belt (Power Steering) and Poly-Rib Belt (AC / Alternator) - REPLACE
Replace Spark Plugs (At least every two years)
Replace Air Filter
Automatic Transmission: Change ATF, clean ATF strainer.

Some piddly stuff as well -
The hood struts need replacing(wont hold the hood up anymore)
Alignment and tire balance

The water Pump should be good for another 60-80k KM so I am a ways from that, as long as it looks ok when I am in there. Looks Like Hosrom_951 and I may do the work if we can work out scheduling.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:40 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are a few not tooo $$ off the top of my head, especially considering the enviroment.

Replace ALL fluids, fuel filter
Along with belts-front seals and rollers
AOS seals ???
"Smear over" rear balance shaft seals
Old 07-20-2006, 08:51 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a complete Auto Trans filter/ gasket kit. IIRC I paid about 20$ for mine a few years back.

Nice thing about auto's, they usually arent over revved- and generally the engine is less prone to abuse.

Quick Reply: Advice - Maintanence