Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headliner Repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 05:39 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Headliner Repair

My headliner is starting to separate from the roof... the section on the drives side of the sunroof is worst.
Who has had the headliner repaired/replaced, and what did it cost? Is this a DIY job?
Old 07-18-2006, 05:40 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've read in a few posts it's a mojor PITA.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:20 PM
skene
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I repaired the bit that's between the sunroof and the hatch with contact cement pretty easily. That part comes off with like 5 screws though. I'm not sure how hard the sunroof would be to take apart.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:39 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Replacing it is a pain in the ***! You have to go in sections.. a lot of them. Best results I have gotten is with universal contact cement that you brush on. Brush it on both sides, wait 5-10 min, then stick it together. The headliner is just a sheet of vinyl, you could probably cut your own.

You'll likely never get it wrinkle free but mine came out pretty well
Old 07-18-2006, 06:49 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

Hey Derek what do you think.

Derek and I started doing mine, to finish I just have to pull the hatch to get good access to the rear.

It's not really that hard. You have to pull the a-pillar covers, front headliner cover, rear headliner cover, and if your going to do 100% pop out the back windows. As well as the door seals. It can be done in one piece "Big piece"

It's not that difficult, but not something you can explain in a post. But use the stuff Sken mentioned. You can gt it at Home depot and it's pretty strong.

If it's just one of the pieces that bolts on, it's easy enough to take it off and cover it. I recomend pulling the vinyl off, then reinforcing it with fiberglass before covering it, because they are just pieces of cardboard. Spend some time and it can come out real nice. Same holds true for the sunroof, if it's just that pull it and cover it. Watch out though. Most have a plastic rivet thing. I think you can get replacements from parragon, hard to get out without ruining it.

If your going to do the hole thing start on one side, work across, and then work back. It actually pretty easy to do without wrinkling.

Quick Reply: Headliner Repair