Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Farewell to another 944...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 10:01 AM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry about your car. It's always a bad deal to see another 944 go down. Hope you are OK.

Just curious... Does your insurance cover replacement cost or book value? Seems to be a big difference in our cars.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:13 AM
86-51
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accident

Orbix: Sorry to hear about your accident, and also sorry for the loss of 1 more very nice looking Porsche 951.
Than said, and not wanting to appear a bottom feeder I would like to let you know that my car is presently for sale, and located nearby in Cincinnati. It's listed on autotrader.com. It is a very clean and strong running car with mods including MAF, Chip, Boost controller, Lightened Flywheel, Centerforce clutch, OZ Wheels, + more. 97k miles. If you have an interest please contact me through autotrader.com, or just pm me.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:23 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

ouch man, sorry to hear that. Glad to hear you are ok..
Old 07-18-2006, 10:33 AM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SD Porsche Fan
Just curious... Does your insurance cover replacement cost or book value? Seems to be a big difference in our cars.
I've been told that they will start with a price from the NADA guide, which should put my car between $5 and 6k, which would be pretty good, as far as I'm concerned. We'll see how it pans out. I'm just glad they use NADA and not Blue Book, as the BB prices tend to be REALLY low, as I recall.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:01 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

When my 87na in excellent condition got totaled they went NADA and it was $6500. It had 216000 miles on it and I had every receipt known to man, but they did not look at any of that stuff...just the bent frame rail ...and the shiny black paint.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:49 AM
jim46944
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your car and your cat. I have two cats and I know I am going to be seriously bummmed when they die. Wait awhile and get yourself a new kitten. Good luck with the ins company. If the car is a total loss looking for a replacement car is always fun.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:09 PM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jim46944
Good luck with the ins company. If the car is a total loss looking for a replacement car is always fun.
Indeed it is... There weren't many things that I didn't like about my NA, but I'd been admiring the late dash (hence why I'd started modifying my early dash for a 'cleaner' look), and I've been coveting the linen interiors from time to time...

Unless I'm going to get killed on rates (which remains to be seen), I'm leaning VERY heavily towards getting another 944/951, so you haven't gotten rid of me yet!
Old 07-18-2006, 12:27 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Oof, an 83. Only about 5000 American ones made.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:29 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, when my 968 was in an accident couple of years ago (in California, versus State Farm), I provided the insurance claims adjuster with all sorts of market information -- Excellence market report, PCA valuation, local adversements, etc, etc. On top of that, I gave them all sorts of recent receipts -- I recently had a mechanic do the clutch/brakes less than 5k miles ago. At the end of the day, I got a valuation at the very top of the range, plus compensation for the clutch/brake job and money to cover tax/registration for a comparable vehicle. YMMV.
Originally Posted by orbix
Oh, and I know this is going to sound like I just made this mess up for sympathy, but one of our cats died today, too.
I missed that part earlier -- that's so sad...
Old 07-18-2006, 02:37 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by orbix
Heh. Funny you should mention that- I'm already talking to him about it, and am probably going to check it out this weekend, since I should know by then if mine's totalled.
We'll have a chat over a beer, climb in and around the car, and see what happens.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:48 PM
jyoon
Burning Brakes

i'm thinking it's totalled without any doubt. glad you're ok, good luck with the outcome.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:27 PM
Tyler951
Instructor

Glad to hear that you escaped with body (human) intact. That makes my wood accident a little nothing compared to that. Get another water pumper and continue the story, turbos are fun.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:53 PM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 87944turbo
I guess we will never know what the extra red light under the bumper was for?
You know, I just figured out how it was wired the night before the wreck! It was hooked up to a switch in the center console and piggybacked off the lighter in the console... Manual fog lamp, apparently. Very odd.

Originally Posted by Chris_924s
I echo Jerry's- keep the wheels and rockers if possible.
If you buy it back and decide to part it.
I'm hoping to be able to pull the rockers and rear valence, and possibly the wheels as well. As I recall, there's an offset issue that'd prevent me from using the Fuchs on a late car, but I know they could go to a good home courtesy of Rennlist... The rockers and rear valence, on the other hand, will be going onto my next 944 after getting a repaint. I believe they should fit both early and late cars, so they aren't done for.

Originally Posted by Devia
Aww, she was the color of my first 944, sniff!
I have to say, I still think that's my favorite paint color, and if mine was any indication, it's of amazing quality. I have a few sections on my hood where the paint was strong enough to stay where it was supposed to be in a large piece even after the hood that it was attached to was gone...
Old 07-18-2006, 05:59 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

David, If you do decide to buy it back I know someone who wants the manual rack, shaft and tie rods.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:57 PM
jeff522
Racer

That sucks, to wreak your car and have a pet die on the same day. That could be a start of a county song. Hopefully it is total loss. It would be real hard to fix it right, and have it perform like befor. In 89 I crashed an 87 Pugeot 505 Turbo. The insurance guy looked it over and said it should be fixed. It looked pretty bad to me, so I asked if they could just total her. Well the shop got to work on it, and they started finding other things wrong with her. It was going way over the estament, but they had so much invested the insurance comp told them to just fix it. By the time it was said and done they had spent almost twice what it was worth, and had had her for close to a month. I got her and went for a test drive. At about 75-80 mph she started to vibrate. It was hard to keep it on the road. Back to the shop, and two weaks later picked her up once more. It never was the same after the wreak. Ended up selling her a year later, and took a big hit money wise. If the insurance company had just writen off to start with everyone would have been better off. The best part was yet to come. When it was time to renew my policy, my rates almost doubled. At the time one loss would raise insurance rates by 40%. When I asked why it was so much, I was told I had been put in a special group insured by the State of Texas. The reason for being in that group. The payout ended up being more than twice the value of the car, and I was just to high risk to be insured by the private sector.

Quick Reply: Farewell to another 944...