Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mother F$#$ing PO.....NOW WITH PICS

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006 | 01:10 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

ouch...yeah i guess in comparison, i don't have it too bad....granted, he did do the whole speakers in the back thing, but at least they're pretty solidly attached...
Old 07-18-2006 | 02:23 AM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

nope that doesn't beat my 944's P/O, just think Ratsnest of wires, all spliced, and just EVERYWHERE!
Old 07-18-2006 | 02:39 AM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

My car "borrows" off the radio circuit for the driver's electric seat, since '83s didn't have them as an option. I guess someone someday will have to hunt me down for that one.

The radio is aftermarket. Aside from a few splices and inline fuse on the battery lead, it's a decent install.
Old 07-18-2006 | 03:47 AM
BrianAg95
Racer

Well I haven't taken mine apart yet, but I am pretty sure my PO didn't hook up the antenna amp, as I get crap reception in certain places in town. And why on earth you would buy a flashy silver head unit is beyond me. COMPLAMENT THE COLORS moron!!!! ahhh but that is pretty low on my priority list.... so I don't know when I will get to that annoyance.....
Old 07-18-2006 | 03:51 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

I feel your pain, this is the hackjob i needed to deal with when i took the PO's headunit out.

The black stuff on the wires is electrical tape residue.. he spliced the wires in the CENTER of each speaker wire... how could you be so freaken stupid?

After a few hours i was proud to be stuffing this back into the center console..

Old 07-18-2006 | 04:40 AM
one
Advanced

^^ Fire hazard. Like these car's don't have enough of one from the factory after they age 20 yrs or so.

I used to own car audio stores and during the time I owned them I had 4 P-cars. (2 944', a 951 turbo, and a 924 - I don't know why). I never really did get a system in there i truely liked, but that rear glass was GREEEAAAAT for a single ten incher on about 350 watts.

Back to the wires in the dash... UHG, I simply re-wired the entire audio and power setup in all the cars. Too many places for the old wires and plug to start problems.

My buddy bought a 944 from a friend and we redid the interior, I left for a summer and came back to see him finishing his summer project of changing the dash, seats, new interior, $2,000 stereo, all the trimmings.... very nice and took all summer. ....... the car burned to the ground the first time he started it.

Guess what it was........... a old factory wire in the dash that had cracked and leaned against the steering shaft. It was already burning like mississippi by the time he could get the car stopped.

There is NOTHING I fear more in these cars than fire. Every owner should have two fire extinguishers on hand. One for electrical, one for the rest.
Old 07-18-2006 | 05:29 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Ah, I actually keep a FIRE extinguisher within my reach in my 944, after seeing how many fellow P-cars burned to the ground!

I FEEL your pain, dude, I do.

I too am having electrical problems again, and part of I think is due to a wire being constantly hot around the stereo - and it was taped up. I need to find a permanent solution to it, as I'm paranoid she'll burn. The main wire harness was hacked out by PO, and there was this nasty touchpad Clifford alarm in there that caused the engine to cut out everytime you turned the headlights off! Burned out the pop-up light motor, so I'm going to have to rerun a wire for the new one, ick. Just am going to be as neat & logical as possible about it.

- Julie
Old 07-18-2006 | 09:22 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

yeah...i think I may have to redo the power lines on my stereo in the not too distant future - looks like the PO didn't leave a constant +12V line, but rather two switched lines....

when I replace the front speakers, I think I'll go in and take care of that - make it a car stereo day, if you will. On the plus side though, it looks like the signal wires are all new wiring, which means that the wires are only around 10 years old, as opposed to almost 20...
Old 07-19-2006 | 03:57 AM
linust
Advanced

try this one...took apart my driver's door panel this weekend to look into clicking from the window regulator. PO had a local car stereo shop (one w/ a fairly decent rep) install Sony component speakers in the doors...put the tweeters on a piece of plumber's tape (pipe strap) in the original door speaker (4x6) location, then hacked into the door structure to allow the 5.25" woofer to sit flush, just behind the 4x6 location. Inner door structure appears compromised now, with the window regulator an impending victim (premature wear from excessive flex). argh...

Quick Reply: Mother F$#$ing PO.....NOW WITH PICS