Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt online parts to Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 02:03 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Timing belt online parts to Canada?

Okay I've decided to try and do the timing belt service myself even though I barely have any wrenching experience. I'm going to use clarks garage and hopefully the forums here and clarks garage when I get stuck.

I just have basic tools and I definately need to order the full arnnworx tool kit and he has it for sale on ebay, 124 cdn without shipping. Not sure when I'll get it if I order now, I want to get it asap as I want to have all the parts by August so I have lots of time before I start school in september.

Also someone told me Zims is a good place to get the timing belt kit. I'm thinking of leaving the water pump as the owner has receipt for buying the water pump / belt kit 1.5 years ago (weissach parts receipt) and he says he put 10,000 kms on it. I need to replace the belts because there is an oil leak near the balance belt roller (doesn't look that bad) and I need to try and fix that. I want to try and replace all seals other than the camshaft seal because that look too risky for me to try.

Also not sure if it is necessary to replace the tensioner stud, do most people do this? I don't want to do anything unecessary to make this job harder for me.

Also how fast will Zims send me the parts and will there be a Canada duty tax or whatever added ? I've heard some stories of shipping costing 150 dollars or more for parts sent to Canada.

I think other than that I just need to buy a gear puller and a breaker bar which is pretty cheap at Canadian tire. My biggest worry is pulling oil seals and replacing them properly as I've never done something like that and I could screw it up.

Any comments would be appreciated I want to order the parts asap so i get them soon and can take my time with this.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:08 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Also anyone know which Zims front engine seal kit I need? my car is a 85.5 944. the deluxe kits with the steel races don't say if it is for early or late 944.

Also when you get the seals how do you know which seal is which?
Old 07-13-2006, 04:33 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Props for trying to do the job yourself! It's not particularly hard, but if you don't have any wrenching experience, I would suggest to take it to SCAN or Otto and have them do it. It'll cost about $1200 give or take for waterpump and timing belt service.

If you are broke and wanna do it yourself, you have a large army of 944 guys in Vancouver willing to help out.

Weissach can give you very competitive prices on parts - They will give you a quote that may be quite a bit more expensive than Zims or eBay or whatever, but when you consider Weissach's price includes shipping, customs, taxes, AND it's in stock or there the NEXT DAY (no waiting) I often find that it's worth paying a few extra bucks to save time and avoid the hassle of buying online and waiting for a shipment.

Although I've set timing and tensioned the belt, I've never actually done the rollers or seals myself.. so I can't be of much help there.. but Clark's Garage is only a click away!

cheers,
Rich
Old 07-13-2006, 06:08 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

thanks. I didn't know scan will charge only 1200 for the belts/ roller/ seals/ pump.....that sounds really cheap. I had the idea that front end service would cost 1800 at least or more likely 2000+

the previous owner has replaced the belts and rollers/ pump Dec 24, 2004 he bought the parts from weissach but he has a wrong roller installed for the old style water pump so the belt teeth are really close. Also I removed the timing cover and there seems to be some oil on the balance belt roller and other spots, not anything huge but it's still oily.

someone else here told me that Scan will charge 1800 for the service and weissach more than that.

I'm not completely broke yet, haha but I was thinking of saving a little money and learning to do it myself (I like to learn) but if scan only charges 1200 for belts, rollers, water pump/ seals I would definately let them do it as it'll save me a lot of stress and headache. I don't think a new pump is even necessary it's only about 2 years old and the owner claims `10,000 kms, it's rebuilt old style pump though withou the spacer and with the wrong bigger roller he has installed the belt teeth are about a cm or two away from each other.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:09 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I have receipt at weissach and the previous owner paid 365 for belts roller/ rebuilt water pump which is not bad.

Quick Reply: Timing belt online parts to Canada?