Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet Another Seat Cover Query

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 08:37 PM
pcutt
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet Another Seat Cover Query

Here's yet another query for seat covers. I dd a search of the forums and didn't find what I' m looking for, so I'm bringing up the seat cover question again. Here's what I have in mind for my '86 944:

- Simple cloth slipcover that is reasonably tailored to the seat shape. Cotton-based cloth like canvas/denim/etc that is machine washable. Light color like linen/tan/ivory.

- No neoprene wetsuit material.

- No sheepskin.

- No rebuild kit (rennbay.com) since I just want to cover what I have, not rebuild.

The covers at my local car stores and Costco's don't fit since my seats are taller than average.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 07-12-2006, 09:17 PM
1987na
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could always call around to some upholstery shops and see if they have a pattern for the seats, then buy some bolts of cloth and see if you could get a tailor to cut them to fit the pattern. That's the only way I can think of right now, besides doing a Betsy Ross and sewing them yourself. Or you could always call Rosey Grier:
Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2006, 09:31 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

If that's the case, why not take the cover off of the seat and use it as a pattern in the material that you want. Granted, the car would be down for awhile until you get all the stitching done.

On the other hand, I'm sure that an automotive upholstery or interior shop would be glad to make the seat covers that you want. But of course, that'd cost your a bit.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:50 AM
Rob M Budd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 273 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by pcutt
Here's yet another query for seat covers. I dd a search of the forums and didn't find what I' m looking for, so I'm bringing up the seat cover question again. Here's what I have in mind for my '86 944:

- Simple cloth slipcover that is reasonably tailored to the seat shape. Cotton-based cloth like canvas/denim/etc that is machine washable. Light color like linen/tan/ivory.

- No neoprene wetsuit material.

- No sheepskin.

- No rebuild kit (rennbay.com) since I just want to cover what I have, not rebuild.

The covers at my local car stores and Costco's don't fit since my seats are taller than average.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Paul

Drive you car to a reputable auto upholstery shop.

Tell them what you want, just as you described above. Be sure they understand you want seat covers, not reupholstered seats.

If the person is a good "trimmer" they can measure the seats while they are still in the car and be able to make exactly what you want without taking them out of the car.
My trimmer has done this many times.

They should have plenty of sample books with swatches. Select the material and they should be able to give you a price right then.
I'm guessing $200-$300 for custom seat covers in a good material.

This was a very common practice years ago. When a person got a new car, one of the first thing they did was go to "Rayco" and get seat covers.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:05 AM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

dude, just put a Led Zeppelin T-shirt over the seats....

right now i have one of my 3XL Ben Davis shirts over my seat since the seat back is ripping and leaving brown/red stains on any white shirt that touches it.

that's for now.

on my '84 i used to have these hawaiian print seat covers that i got from autozone. 20 bucks a pop, and they didnt fit too terribly shabby from what i remember.

Quick Reply: Yet Another Seat Cover Query