Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help narrowing down the starting problem...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 01:06 PM
TheCooler
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help narrowing down the starting problem...

Heres a list of all things I have working

-Fuel pump works and theres pressure in the rail
-DME relay works
-Spark plugs are firing right

Heres what doesnt work...
-Tach is moving a little bit under 100 rpms but doesnt show real engine speed. It just wiggles a little when I crank the car...I adjusted my reference sensor with a .8mm washer as clarks garage states. I noticed if i disconnect the ref sensor the tach doesnt move at all or if I pull the ref sensor totally out and leave it connected it still gives no reading on the tach (no movement).

I took a resistance reading from pins 25 and 26 I believe and it came to be 990 ohms. Where can i get a oscilliscope from so I can test the ref sensor.

Also when i first grounded to the engine I grounded to a difference point by accident (not near the bellhousing). I started the car and it ran fine. I went back to and noticed my mistake and moved the ground to the proper spot. When I took the nut off the nut and stud was hot...

I hope this did not blow the DME. I took the DME out and resoldered all the connections in it. It looked to have some dryed orange/yellow junk on the top and bottom of the board where the DME plugs in on the resistors? and at some other points on the board. I am assuming this is corrosion or is it a blown out board?

The car will not start now. It has been getting progessively worse. It would first run for a while then stall. Then run for a 30 seconds then stall. Then almost start. Now it wont start at all. Very weird.

Any suggestions on what to do next?
Old 07-12-2006, 07:08 PM
TheCooler
Instructor

Injectors dont seem to be firing. I dont hear any clicking from them. I have replaced the FPR with a new one. I removed one injector connector and it still wont start.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:30 PM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

Ok, not knowing what you have done already I'll state the obvious things that I've run into with mine.

Change the rotor and cap. Even if they look good. Chased a no start problem on mine once that was causing my hair to grey before my time. On a whim I swapped the rotor and cap..and voila. Neither looked bad, and both were less than a year old. $60 from an import supply house, same bosch you get from the dealer without the porsche $100 box.

Your symptoms are nearly identical to what mine were. Try that first. My typical flow is

Fuel
Spark
Timing

After that comes many things but one of those will usually get you going. Theory being if the fuel is there, and the spark is there, and it all happens at the right time...it has to start. The timing and reference sensors was a good call though, had that happen once as well. If it starts at all though, or even tries to....it's likely not those, in my experience. When they are out of adjustment, or bad...she just cranks and cranks with no sign of life. Your mileage may vary of course.

Bill
Old 07-13-2006, 01:43 AM
smoemt
Advanced

Have you tried starter fluid to see if it was the injectors?... just a thought
Old 07-13-2006, 02:52 PM
TheCooler
Instructor

Hmm...I resoldered the whole DME to no avail. The Tach worked for a second then went dead again.

I changed the cap and plugs and wires before any of this. I didnt change the rotor....Ill check that out. It does get spark though.

I did try starter fluid and that didnt start the car.

As for the reference sensor... I re-adjusted it like 20 times to make sure I had it correct... Im borrowing a oscilliscope today to really test it.

Quick Reply: Need help narrowing down the starting problem...