Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Filling body cavity voids w/ expandable structural foam

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 09:11 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adrian_jaye
I would be carefull about pumping foam into places for the following

1> Most are flammable and in case of an accident you might be adding more of a risk.
2> You probably need to advise your insurance company because of 1
3> If you put it in the wrong place and you need to do any work it may be messy and cause problems, especially if your gonna weld (see 1)

However,,, I have used body foam in my old capori for 2 reasons

1> fitting a body kit (rear wings which were rivited on
2> put some expanding foam in the bonnet mainly for sound reduction

Oh a lot of expanding foam does not go solid when in an enclosed space as it cant dry, I've opened up spaces when I've bolloxd up ontil to find inside was still liquid, thoiugh the stuff to the air was solid, and this was like 6 months later !
I'd suggest reading the linked article. It addresses most of these items
Old 07-12-2006, 09:16 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marksportcts
Geo, I recall that you posted something about your car being in SCC, good stuff.
Thanks. It was fun, but it was also very much a learning experience. Everything took 3-4x as long as I couldn't get very far without having to stop and shoot a lot of detailed photos. I was hoping to use that as a chance to get to do some other things. Didn't quite work out, however, now that they have a new editor, perhaps it might work out (although most of the editors/contributors I know have left there).

Originally Posted by marksportcts
So anyone know where to put this stuff in the 944's?
I'd look at the frame rails, rocker panels, floor pan, rear seat pans. Perhaps even in the foot box (verticle panels).

Quick Reply: Filling body cavity voids w/ expandable structural foam