Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumped into a curb, steering out of whack.. not 100% sure whats wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 06:11 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It should be able to be fixed by alignment, and they shoudl be able to tell that if they can't get it to spec when aligning the traditional way something must be bent/broken.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Dan.. if i miss another auto-x i am going to be pissed. I am dying to try and get 3rd place.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:31 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Then you need to leave the autoxing on the course, and stop driving your car like that on the street.

Sounds like you really need to get it on an alignment rack to properly assess the damage.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:52 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Took the car in for a wheel alignment today and to my relief the car aligned fine. Apparently i knocked the toe out by about 0 degrees 15'. Yeesh i am a dumbass. I am just so lucky i did not damage anything.

I am however experiencing one problem.. however i cannot remember if this developed before or after the little incident. I recently had the front control arms rebuilt, new bushings, ball joints and 968 caster blocks. A day after i had the accident i jacked the car up and inspected everything..upon taking a ride around the block afterwards i noticed i had some extreme 'creaking' going on under braking and tightish turns. I localized it to what seemed like the front control arm bushings, i was pushing up on the suspension and could feel the vibration in the cross member / control arm bushing as it creaked.

I had the shop which did the alignment completley retorque all the bolts on the front control arms while it was on the drive on lift (i did it while the car was on ramps, i figure the weight might have been off enough to cause problems). The creaking is not nearly as bad as it was before, but still present under moderate to heavy braking, pulling into driveways and on some tighter turns. Is this particuarlly normal for newer bushing (maybe 500 miles on them)? I dont think i noticed this before but i could be wrong.

I know for a fact the passenger side sway bar bushing is shot from ATF exposure and will be changing the swaybar along with going to delrin bushings in a few weeks. However the sound is the same exact one i heard with the control arms. Tomorrow i plan to pull the sway bar off and take a ride to see if it goes away.. if not a liberal spraying with heavy duty silicon lubricant if it persist.

Any insight on this?
Old 07-12-2006, 02:25 AM
dubstr
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5 lbs of air loss can do this. are both tires inflated to the same pressure? low tire pressure on one side can change driveability..... ala nascar

Last edited by dubstr; 07-12-2006 at 02:26 AM. Reason: dumb stuff

Quick Reply: Bumped into a curb, steering out of whack.. not 100% sure whats wrong?