Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating Problem. Beware Failsafe Thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 11:35 PM
Qik944
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating Problem. Beware Failsafe Thermostat

Well, over my July 4th weekend I resolved to once and for all find my overheating problem. I drained the coolant, took off all the new hoses. Removed the timing belt covers and made sure the water pump was contacting the belts and not slipping or the press fit wasnt slipping. All OK! I pumped gallons and gallons of water through the block and through the new radiator AOK! I pulled out the thermostat which was brand new and tested by me prior to installation. It cycled ok then and now....but pay attention kids....heres where its "Gonna Get Really Scary".
When buying all my new parts I went to my local Auto Zone to pick up a thermostat. I was inforned that they had the stock replacement or for more money the better Failsafe thermostat. If this fails it goes to the fully open position. That sounds logical! Not being one to ever skimp where my toys are involved, I bought this product and tested and installed it.
BEWARE!!! The thing I didnt realize was that the Failsafe thermostat has a much smaller bobbin and restricted the water flow enough to push heat into the danger zone.
It also took about twenty hours of my valuable time to finally figure out, maybe our members can learn from my pain.
I replaced the Failsafe with a stock thermostat and am now running just a smidge over the first bar. LOVELY. Happy trails to you all who helped QIK944
Old 07-07-2006, 08:10 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey good to know, I almost bought one for my 83'....sure glad I avoided that at the time! Too bad you had to go through all the pain to find your problem, but at least it was not a real $$ fix.

Quick Reply: Overheating Problem. Beware Failsafe Thermostat