Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S2 Supercharger Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006 | 11:24 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Originally Posted by jgporsche
very interesting project. is that a roots supercharger?
Its an Eaton M90 positive displacement. Its a modified roots with trilobe rotors and a twist to reduce pulsing.

One of the drawbacks was the pulley size. The pulley on it would produce a calculated 9.5 psi which is WAY too much for me. I'm currently soursing a 3.8" dia pulley which should give me about 6 psi, and hopefully about 230 rwhp. If I feel safe with this setup, I'll bump up the boost by going to a 7lb. pulley.

Originally Posted by Stephenwz968
This project looks like it's going to kick butt! Are you losing your A/C due to the placement of the supercharger?
I will keep the AC. The factory plenum is HUGE on an S2, and there is plenty of room there. I do I have to install a couple idler pulleys for the serpentine belt, using new hardware on the Alternator. The packaging of this kit is quite elegant. The engineering that went into the rest of it, not so much. Someone spent ALOT of time welding where a tubing bender could have gotten the job done in about 2 minutes, but more on that later.

Originally Posted by josephsc
Work faster! I'm anxious to see how this project turns out!

BTW, have you thought about how you're going to deal with California smog check?
I've spent a ton of time just cleaning under there today. You can't imagine how much dust, oil, grime, and sand gets caught up in all the webbing on the block casting, YUK! I have to go up to Sacto. to get some tools I left at my parent's house, and also borrow some tools I don't have. Depending on how enerjetic I feel when I get home, I may keep working.

As for the SMOG thing. I'm confident this thing will blow clean, however, the ****'s will flunk the visual. I'll either try to find someplace shady, or slap the stock manifold back on. The way I see it, once I figure out what I'm doing, it will take at most 1/2 the time to repeat the work. I should be able to change back to stock in about a day. Computer will load a factory setting and I'll be good to go.

Originally Posted by TurboTim
We dynoed a 944S with that set-up on it and it made less horsepower then stock! IKES. It was pinging badly since Huntley did not do anything to control timing. So we added an intercooler to the set-up(dont ask how we did that),water injection and burned a custom chip. It redynoed at 230WHP which was pretty good considering it only made 165 prior to the intercooler,WI and tune.I dont know what you can expect withthat but I know there are a couple peopole who have gotten to about 250WHP with that set-up.
It seems there was a few iterations of this 'kit', which I think was only a few kits made, and I think they were all different. What supercharger was that 944S running? An Eaton M90 is entirely too large for a 2.5L. And how much boost was it running? For me, the SMT7 will control timing, and will limit boost to about 6psi.
Old 07-06-2006 | 02:40 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bleucamaro
Its an Eaton M90 positive displacement. Its a modified roots with trilobe rotors and a twist to reduce pulsing.

One of the drawbacks was the pulley size. The pulley on it would produce a calculated 9.5 psi which is WAY too much for me. I'm currently soursing a 3.8" dia pulley which should give me about 6 psi, and hopefully about 230 rwhp. If I feel safe with this setup, I'll bump up the boost by going to a 7lb. pulley.

I will keep the AC. The factory plenum is HUGE on an S2, and there is plenty of room there. I do I have to install a couple idler pulleys for the serpentine belt, using new hardware on the Alternator. The packaging of this kit is quite elegant. The engineering that went into the rest of it, not so much. Someone spent ALOT of time welding where a tubing bender could have gotten the job done in about 2 minutes, but more on that later.

I've spent a ton of time just cleaning under there today. You can't imagine how much dust, oil, grime, and sand gets caught up in all the webbing on the block casting, YUK! I have to go up to Sacto. to get some tools I left at my parent's house, and also borrow some tools I don't have. Depending on how enerjetic I feel when I get home, I may keep working.

As for the SMOG thing. I'm confident this thing will blow clean, however, the ****'s will flunk the visual. I'll either try to find someplace shady, or slap the stock manifold back on. The way I see it, once I figure out what I'm doing, it will take at most 1/2 the time to repeat the work. I should be able to change back to stock in about a day. Computer will load a factory setting and I'll be good to go.

It seems there was a few iterations of this 'kit', which I think was only a few kits made, and I think they were all different. What supercharger was that 944S running? An Eaton M90 is entirely too large for a 2.5L. And how much boost was it running? For me, the SMT7 will control timing, and will limit boost to about 6psi.

Dan,
About the smog test and visuals, talk to me when your close to being finished. A friend with 500Hp Z-28 Camaro was over the other night...let's just say young street rodders still have their contacts

Since you are off all week you'll put a big dent in the project. Any thoughts on making that baffle and running a 951 IC since you have the room? My rear seat delete is going well, front section/sides built, fold down section complete, and everything stripped waiting for supplies. Carpet, thermo/dampener material, and German vinyl arrive Friday; 2nd amp on Monday. After no music for 10 months it will be so nice.
Old 07-06-2006 | 03:09 AM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Someday, one day, I may even do this to my S2 as well. I look forward to your further write ups and pictures as well as the final results.
Old 07-06-2006 | 04:19 AM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Dan,
About the smog test and visuals, talk to me when your close to being finished. A friend with 500Hp Z-28 Camaro was over the other night...let's just say young street rodders still have their contacts
Sweeeeeeet.

Since you are off all week you'll put a big dent in the project. Any thoughts on making that baffle and running a 951 IC since you have the room? My rear seat delete is going well, front section/sides built, fold down section complete, and everything stripped waiting for supplies. Carpet, thermo/dampener material, and German vinyl arrive Friday; 2nd amp on Monday. After no music for 10 months it will be so nice.
I weld with a MIG bad, and weld aluminum worse. An air to air intercooler would be nice, but the ammount of pressure loss I'd see, along with the added complexity dictates that it will have to wait untill its a nececity (meaning if I can't tune the car on race gas or Xylene additive).

Originally Posted by eohrnberger
Someday, one day, I may even do this to my S2 as well. I look forward to your further write ups and pictures as well as the final results.
I have some engineering suggestions already, but will wait till the final result is seen to share.
Old 07-06-2006 | 01:39 PM
JEC_31
Three Wheelin'

Nice. I too am curious as to how this will turn out.
Old 07-06-2006 | 02:58 PM
HIGHBOOST
Pro

Maybe a nice air to water unit intercooler? More expensive, but smaller at the same time due to the greater heat transfer properties of air to water versus air to air. regardless, its going to make a whole lot more power than you are making now, and that's what counts

This is going to be awesome, I'd love to see it sometime since I drive through elk grove everyday ha
Old 07-06-2006 | 03:07 PM
JEC_31
Three Wheelin'

Also, if you haven't already you really should pick up a copy of Supercharged! by Corky Bell. It is an educational gold mine on this topic!
Old 07-06-2006 | 05:25 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bleucamaro
I'm currently soursing a 3.8" dia pulley which should give me about 6 psi,
Did you try http://www.pulleyboys.com/ ?

Keith
Old 07-06-2006 | 06:05 PM
JEC_31
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by VWaddict

Keith

I just read through their posted installation instructions for the M90 - looks like a well thought out system with well-written instructions.

Thanks for the link, Keith.
Old 07-06-2006 | 06:55 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Originally Posted by VWaddict

Keith
I accidently ordered one of their quick change kits before I found that my hub is not the standard eaton press on pulley, its a .641 keyed shaft diameter, with a .125w x .075h keyway. I just got an email back from pulleyboys saying that its a standard keyed shaft for eatons. I'm now returning the press fit in favor of the keyed.

Jec_31: Yes, I've read Supercharged a few times.
Old 07-06-2006 | 07:42 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Yep. I supercharged my VW and they seem to have all the pulley options that I'd ever need. I was thinking about going smaller, but I'm at sea level, many gas stations are moving to 92 octane from 93, the air in Florida is roasting hot most of the year, and it looks like I'd have to start thinking about water injection or other solutions to go any smaller...

...For the limited amount of jollies that my VW can give me, compared to the sheer thrill of the turbo waking up in my 951S, it's just not really worth it. -I'd love to try a supercharged 944 though... the handling difference between the VW and the P-car is dramatic!

Keith
Old 07-06-2006 | 10:17 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Good luck with th project i am excited to hear how it all turns out.
Old 07-07-2006 | 05:12 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I need to do this to my 968 - turbocharging it is insanely expensive and difficult. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 07-11-2006 | 03:43 AM
bleucamaro
Drifting

So I updated the 2nd post with a couple pics. Pulley Boys did a great job getting a modded pulley to me very quickly. I talked with them on the phone friday afternoon, and it was modded and shipped by saturday, I got it today, WOW. great service!

Arash, I have some ideas to improve upon this concept. Even as bulky as this manifold and blower setup is, there is space behind and below it, and possibly above it, I'd have to put some foam in there to find out how much.

Anyway, see the update and sign up for deutsches motorfest. www.deutschesmotorfest.com (shameless, I know.)
Old 07-11-2006 | 05:23 AM
josephsc
Race Car

From: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA

By the way, did you do a "before" dyno run so we can get a good sense of the effectiveness?

Quick Reply: S2 Supercharger Install