Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Toy on the 4th! what a way to celebrate!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 01:44 AM
BrianAg95
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New Toy on the 4th! what a way to celebrate!

Well here it is my first post and pictures of my new baby.

Serial Num: WPOZZZ94ZKN404818
Thats an 89' for those of you who don't have vin decoding memorized

As you can see by the plates, I am not in the US at the moment, but living in Dubai, UAE on foreign assignment for the moment. The car is in great shape for the most part. Decisions on wether to try importing it or not will have to come in 1-2 years when I end my assignment and come back stateside.

Here is a little run down....

83000 km on the speedo, BUT the speedo isn't working at the moment, Supposedly it is the sensor, which the mechanic has ordered already, so that is a rough estimate, I have the mechanic's contact info but he is currently on holiday and will be back to his shop saturday, so hopefully I can get an idea then how long the speedo has been out. Thats the other bad is I donot have maintanence records ... yet...

Dings - there is a scratch on the hood that is noticable from certain angles, and the paint on the roof is fading, and has one spot where likely bird droppings were left on to long and has a whitish discoloration in a roughly quarter sized circle. There are 3 door dings in the right side, but the left is remarkable ding free. The front right corner was scraped on something at one time 'barely'. Basically the edge of the wheel well right in front of the tire the paint has damaged, its about 1/2 inch wide and about 1/4 of the wheel well height.

Interior - Dash is in good shape, but has typical cracks at the air vents, none very bad. seats are in good shape, one small cig burn in both seats, both burns are not deep. Passanger seat (shocking as this is) has a small thread rip in the center of the seat, it is not really noticable. Driver seat other than the burn is in great shape. AC blows COLD! important here it does get to 110 on a regular basis during the summer. The dash lights are very very dim, I could hardly tell they were on, till I played withthe dimmer a few times and could tell ok thats off, that on.... still very dim....

Engine, it's running good. But I am no mechanic (always wanted to learn, but never had a mentor). I did check the car for leaks and the basics, and it didn't have any that I could detect, but beyond that I am reliant on a local mechanic. It has a little shimmy at a certain speed, but I understand that's common????

oh yeah its an automatic... BLAH.. but beggers can't be choosers...

ok on to the pics...

Last edited by BrianAg95; 07-05-2006 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:53 AM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

that looks very nice! could that shimmy be from needing an alignment/tires balanced? i didn't know that was common. mine certainly dont do that.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:55 AM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

also how is dubai? all i know about it is that they like their cars? is that correct?
Old 07-05-2006, 02:11 AM
BrianAg95
Racer

I was first thinking it might be an alignment issue as well, I cant remmeber where i read somone say there was a shimmy in some 944's at a certain speed, so maybe I mistook something else, I tried to read up lots before I made the purchase, and after a while sources start to get fuzzy..

They do love expensive cars here. I see many ferrari's and lambo's on a regular basis here. Not to mention the bently's and astin martins too.... There isn't a day goes by where I don't see an exotic. As for Porsche's, Cayenne's are all the rage, by the number I see here I would swear half of them are shipped straight here. Boxsters and newer 911's are pretty common too. Older than 95 porsches here are very rare. I looked at a 1983 944 that was beat to hell, he wanted $2000 for it, and that was too much....
Old 07-05-2006, 02:54 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I love the color, nice to see something out of the ordinary.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:04 AM
jgporsche
Drifting

I love euro bumpers, it just makes the 944 n/a look so much better. they should have all been made that way.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:05 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very Nice! I love the colour combo, and the clean euro front end looks SO much better than the North American type!

You might be interested to know that your rear bumper has been replaced with one from a turbo/S2 (thicker rubber strip) and the wheels are from a 1990/91 turbo/S2 as well. (8x16 and 9x16 D90's only came on 90/91 turbos/S2s)
Old 07-05-2006, 04:29 AM
BrianAg95
Racer

The wheels aren't looking to pretty in person. I am thinking about seeing how some real work on them will make them look, but they are very dull, and the right front is missing the center cap, which just adds to the poor look of them.

When I start researching import costs I will have to determine if I plan to do any cosmetic changes like wheels. But if importing it is just too costly, then I am not throwing money down the drain on cosmetic changes like wheels.

So if anyone has import experience I would love to hear about it. I've heard it is a pita, and costly too.

It would suck to not be able to bring it back with me, I mean 17 years o driving and I just now get a real sports car... ahhh such is life.... So I am really hopinh I can work out bringing it back with me.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:57 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

btw. when the sensor replacement doesnt work. take the instrument cluster out and change the odometer gear. nice car. enjoy that 2.7L!
Old 07-05-2006, 12:15 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Love the color!

Old 07-05-2006, 12:21 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Brian, nice car. Which mechanic do you go to?

Drop me a PM, we shall exachange contacts and hang out sometime...
Old 07-05-2006, 01:31 PM
BrianAg95
Racer

Testarossa - Thanks for the avatar job! nicely done!

hosrom, sure thing. PM sending shortly...

Supposedly the guy who has been servicing the car was a mechanic at QuarterMile motors, but has opened his own shop. I forget the name of the new shop. The car still has Quartermile license plate frames on it, so I am assuming that is correct. He was conveniently on holiday this last week, so I couldn't talk to him before i commited, but ughh what can i say I saw the car and fell for it, and had to make it mine, I seriously didn't negotiate enough. Then again whats a few thousand dirhams in the grand scheme of things.. a tire or two maybe... Of course everytime you buy a car you take that risk of something unforseen being wrong, and even if you have the maintanence records you just never can know something horrible could happen tomorrow...

Can you tell I am one of those people who no matter what i buy i have buyers remorse for a bit.... Even though I have to say already this car has put the thrill of driving back in my veins. I have been practical on my transportation choices for far to long.... (wife and kids and all that.. )

(for those of you in other places the exchange rate is $1 to 3.675 AED so a 1000 Dirhams is $270ish or so.)
Old 07-05-2006, 03:59 PM
BigNNasty
Racer

Man Brian, awesome looking car!

I rarely ever compliment N/A's on their look just because of the front bumper situation, but those Euro's sure do look good. I wouldn't think twice about buying an N/A if it had a Euro bumper on it.

Great buy man! You should deffinetly bring it back to the states.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:11 PM
1987na
Racer

I like that automatic shift boot. I want to see about getting one like that for mine.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:09 PM
RM512
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn nice! ** note to self: get Euro bumpers**

Quick Reply: New Toy on the 4th! what a way to celebrate!