Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil on rollers

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 05:13 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil on rollers

I removed my front timing belt cover yesterday to look at the belts and some of the rollers are oily. like the timing belt roller is oily. Then lower down the balance shaft seems to be leaking.

anyways the previous owner says he changed the belts 10k kms , 1 and half years ago, the belt looks new not sure if it is tensioned correctly though.... water pump is supose to be replaced also so now I obviously have to get everything done again because of the oil leaks and I'm going to get a shop to do it for me.

what I'm wondering is if it is safe to drive the car without knowing if the tension has been set correctly and with the oil. I'm not going to drive the car for another 2 months so I'm going to have this done in september.

do you guys think it would be safe to drive it then or should I just have it towed to the shop. I'm not sure if I should even start the car and let it iddle until then.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:56 PM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Check the tension with a twist of the belt. If either goes more than 1/4 turn (90 degrees) with moderate effort then it's too loose. The belts degrade with oil on them but need a good soaking and time to get soft.

You could just figure out what's leaking, fix that and put on new belts. That's if everything else is in good shape which is should be if only 10k past major belt service including water pump.

I'd park it and then drive it in if the belts check out.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:30 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tow it. You can't afford not to.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:44 AM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

Location: Somewhere in WI in my garage, or circum-navigating the globe in a wooden boat.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah my 944 has got touretts, it has a loud ticking sound. its been my cats new sleeping spot for a month now...its already got a rebuilt head on it im not going for broke...when i got the car it had a louder ticking, untill i disconected the cruise control unit, im surprised the belt did blow apart, i was driving the car sorta hard when i first got it. i was porsche ignorant.

Quick Reply: Oil on rollers