Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Younger 944 owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006 | 04:51 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Youngsters start with NAs because they're cheaper, and look enough like turbos to do the trick. Boost is a disease. It may be a pleasant disease, but you have to make sure you are financially ready when you catch it.
hehe. i got my second taste of it yesterday. this time in a gti 1.8t.
mmmmm....boost. not alot of it. but just enough.
Old 06-26-2006 | 04:53 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944kid
Haha, another youngin'! I was there when I was 15. It's the one thing that won't die to me, one of the few things that actually make me try in life.

Here's what you do, and what I should have done. I'm 17, BTW.

Get excellent grades in school. If your mom/dad/g-ma is cool, they'll be okay if you slip every now and then, but DON'T let it happen more than once a year.

Use your own money, in whatever you do. When my g-ma offered to match whatever I earned for a car, (i.e. if I made $1000, she would give me $1000) I shot her down faster than Joe Schmoe hitting on Jennifer Lopez! In my eyes, that was (and still is) one of the things a parent will do to take away your ride. I pay for not only my car (I still don't have a 944, but we'll get to why in a second) but my clothes and food as often as possible. It's one less thing they can claim to having the right to take away.

NEVER, EVER, let them bully you into thinking that because you live in their house, you can't spend money on things YOU want. It's because of my parents that I haven't gotten a 944. It's because of my parents that I went behind their backs to get into the Porsche I'd been waiting on since I was 13. It's because of my parents that when I went to go buy my 944, I found out it was sold to their son TWO DAYS before I had come to pick it up, TWO DAYS after I had found a place to keep it.

Negotiate with them, don't try and have your way, and don't let them have theirs. Take my advice on this, you only live once.

If you want a 944, go ahead! And dammit...don't let anyone stop you.

um. you parents take away your food?
you have a weird reason to want to buy your 944. scared your parents will steal it. i hope i never get scared of my dad stealing anything...
Old 06-26-2006 | 08:08 PM
944kid
Banned

Default Rant

Originally Posted by Campeck
um. you parents take away your food?
you have a weird reason to want to buy your 944. scared your parents will steal it. i hope i never get scared of my dad stealing anything...
I'm not getting what you're saying. Let me clarify: My grandmother, the woman I live with, along with my mother aim to over-protect. I'm not sure if you remember the thread here about me being so hell-bent on acquiring a 944 that I was about to get my own place and live on my own, but it was brought on be threats of taking away the car I'm being FORCED to pay for myself, along with the insurance. It's not like I would accept money towards my car in large amounts anyway, but I was never even offered a choice...so I couldn't even turn an offer down.

Now, because I live in g-ma's apartment, she has ultimate control over my car, which BTW, was a comprimise and lie until about four months ago...let's just say a FWD, automatic, and Japenese car was my last resort. This happened after I'd been waiting for three years to get behind the wheel of a 944, told I could look for one after months of arguing, finding one that was whole, but not running for $100, told I could get it even if it didn't run, and then having my heart broken by being DENIED my beloved Porsche....after my hopes were raised so high. Let's just say this big tease of a 944 and then the slap in the face called over-protection through rules...has left me more than bitter towards my parents.

Haha, my g-ma bought my Galant because I said it "wasn't bad" and then hid it from me for two and a half months. I didn't even know she had bought it, she kept nagging at me whenever I said I had nothing to work for...and to find out I "had" a car, albeit one I wasn't 100% on, for more than two months??? Makes me chuckle... ...not.

Oh, to [finally] answer your question, I don't want a 944 so my parents can take it away, I want one so I can take myself away. I wanted it to be my first car, and my only car. I'm still in friggin high school, I don't need reliable transportation yet. I don't even want it. I wanted to learn through my 944, like so many others here have. My mother and grandmother didn't get that. Despite the fact I took two years of Automotive Technology at a Vocational school, and that I could more than pay for repairs. And I was held back. The story of my life ...it was $100

They wouldn't take away my food, they would take away my car man. The car I'm paying for on my own and maintaining on my own, and it isn't even the car I wanted to begin with.

Sorry if this is incoherant...you've brought back a sour taste. Makes me furious.
Old 06-26-2006 | 08:30 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Seems like i am not the only young owner here. My father gave me a 924S, automatic 3-speed at age 17 when i got my license. I sold that car (well i gave it back to my father who then sold it) after about a year and a half and bought my '87 944 at age 19 in Nov of '04. Both my 924S and 944 were basically trouble free, no major problems except a leaking coolant hose on both cars. You shouldnt expect much from probably 15+ year old rubber.

Other than doing the timing belt on both cars plus regular oil changes i havent spent much on keeping either car running, the 944 on the other hand ive spent a ton of money into modifying (suspension) and pre-empt. maitenence.

At 18 before i bought the 944, i was originally looking for a 944 Turbo and came very close to buying one. I didnt have enough cash at the time, only $4k of the 7k asking price and my father was going to loan me the money. I checked insurance on it and could have pulled it off, but it would have been a real stretch with me in debt $3k to my father and needing to pay $2k a year in insurance. I decided on the 944 because i could easily pay it off and have plenty of money left over for insurance and any repair work. I still love the 944 Turbo, but honestly think as my next car..if i decide to do another 944 will either be a S2 or a 968. Having worked on a 944 Turbo..i can tell you alot of the simple jobs on a 944 are a bit more complex due to the Turbo differences, IE heatshielding around the brake booster.. and the turbo water pipe which connects across the frame rails...etc. I am not saying its alot more, but its enough that i am happy i have a n/a car.

Cost of ownership is not bad considering i do all of my own work. If i had to take this thing to a shop everytime i needed something changed or fixed i dont know how i could possibly afford this car.

What i really hope to do is keep my current 944 and turn it into all out DE/Auto-x car. I hope to buy a S2 or a 968 as a daily driver within the next year or two. I know the S2 and 968 do not have as much power potential as a 951, but i consider that a good thing as it will keep me in line..i wont be spending
ridiculous amounts of money into making the car even faster. Besides, the S2 and 968 should feel like a rocket ship compared to my 944...with 60-100 more horsepower!

Either that buy something nice and newer as a daily driver like a WRX and keep the 944 for the same reasons. Anything with a warranty would be nice...
Old 06-26-2006 | 08:42 PM
MM951
Race Director

Ian G, don't know what the issue is if you have the car in your name, registered in your name. how are they gonna take it away??? Hell, when I got my first bike she said she'd take it but what could she do? nothing.
Old 06-26-2006 | 08:53 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Well he's living under their roof so if he gets kicked out where's he going to go? Parents don't listen to whats legal or not, when it comes to their kids they belive themselves to be always right.

If this was true, we wouldn't need Social Services.
Old 06-26-2006 | 09:05 PM
MM951
Race Director

I have a good relationship w/ my mom..been kicked out but never for car related things...she's threatened to, but I can't think of a mother that would.
Old 06-26-2006 | 09:17 PM
944kid
Banned

Mike, I'm told from the few lawyers in OT that even if I do sign the title in my name, it's not a binding legal contract because I'm a minor. I'm willing to bet my parents don't know that...but my mother is one smart SOB. She'd call up friends, start whining how I finally got my "Damn Porsche" and some idiot would tell her she can do something like cross out my name, put hers on the title, and sell it from under me.

Tis the horror of being a minor.
Old 06-26-2006 | 09:23 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

first car was an '87 n/a that I got while I was 15, learned to drive stick with it, and drove it for a couple years; I'm 19 now and just bought my second car, an 86 951
Old 06-26-2006 | 09:28 PM
MM951
Race Director

Shame shame..hope it works out

maybe when you turn 18 ill feel like selling my silver n/a..
Old 06-26-2006 | 09:42 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Too funny. I don't think I've ever even looked in this area until the header caught my attention while going to the usual for me...964/993 boards. But back to the point: great to see you young guys get it. At 44, I'm closing out my 26th year of Porsche ownership. Started with a '68 911 that got turned into an RSR wannabe. Had the engine apart and case split 3 months after I bought the thing. Some great guys gave me some great pointers about working on Porsches and I never looked back. Jerry Woods and Bruce Anderson, among others.

Learn and enjoy the cars, work through the rough financial spots (college/grad school/business startups), be patient with the non-believer family members/girlfriends/spouses.

To this day the newest Porsche I've ever owned relative to its production is a 924S with a bum clutch I traded for when I was in law school!
Old 06-26-2006 | 09:51 PM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Move out and do whatever you want.
Old 06-26-2006 | 09:51 PM
Reimu
Drifting

I wonder what that's like...
Old 06-26-2006 | 10:11 PM
Seth944
Track Day

I am 17 and i got my 944 when i was 16
Old 06-26-2006 | 10:17 PM
944kid
Banned

Originally Posted by GlenL
Move out and do whatever you want.
You know, I've thought about that very hard. I decided that it wasn't worth the hurt to move out, for me, and even more for the others in my family.

I'd much rather have my parents blessings when it comes to a car. I'm confident they would just get über pissed and then after a while the storm would pass, but I think I'd be sleeping somewhere that is not home for a couple nights!

On the other hand, if I can find a 944/924/924S, I know of a place where I can keep it without them finding it.

Quick Reply: Younger 944 owners