Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Right front makes a clunk over hard bumps, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 05:05 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken D
Also check the caster block bushing at the rear of the control arm. It can clunk when it fails.
Just to re-iterate my previous advice, check your control arm bushings when the car is raised. Both the castor block as Ken suggested and the front bushing. I replaced the upper mounts, struts, sway bar and mounts, springs and wheel bearings trying to track down a clunk. I wish I had checked the front bushing first because it's a cheap fix with a new weltmeister poly bushing.

The most frequent clunks I get now are from breaking front swaybar drop links.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:34 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

For those of you who are also trying to track down your clunking problems, I have an update.

I had the car jacked up today to take my wheels off and clean the insides etc. and decided to check out the front end. I checked the control arm bushings and they look fine, however I turned the wheels side to side by hand and found out that my tie rod assembly inside the boot is heavily worn in that joint. I'm not talking about the tie rod end, but the actually assembly that connects at the p/s rack. Before when I checked this wasn't apparent at all but lately there has been so many pot holes in my town that I have unfortunately been hitting them a lot and I think it has caused the joint to finally be noticeable by hand. I am hoping this is the actual cause of the clunk over bumps, so on Monday I am going to order both left and right tie rod assemblies and install them this week. Hopefully this works and I will report back after they go in.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:28 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Alright guys I got my new tierod assemblies in last night and went for a short trip around the neighborhood last night and initially it felt good. The real test came this morning on the drive through town and on the highway. I am happy to report that my clunk is gone! The steering is sooooo much better now also, there is zero play in the wheel now. I had gotten so use to a little play in the wheel that I started to think it was normal. Going down the road, the slightest input to the steering wheel makes the car move, and everything is so much tighter now. Also over any bump its nice and firm, no more annoying clunk and wheel jerk.

Once again this problem wasn't apparent when the car was jacked up until recently. Before I couldn't feel any major play in the tie rod assembly, so over hard bumps must have made enough force to cause the clunk. So even if you can't feel it you may want to replace the assembly if your getting a clunk sound like so many have said you also have.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:48 PM
Brittania
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also get a clunk once in a while. Bushings, ball joints etc all ok. Did you ever get this clunk when turniing slowly on full lock ,say out of a driveway? How much was the new assembley?

Thanks
Old 09-14-2006, 02:12 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

I got clunks all the time from the front right, but mainly if I hit a bump or pothole going down the road. I tried changing severeral bushings in the beginning but nothing fixed it until now. The new assembly for my turbo was $59 per side from vertexauto. I got both sides along with new boots for the rack. The new assemblies also came with new tie rod ends which was nice.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:49 PM
Brittania
Instructor

great , thanks for the info. I may replace mine off over the winter

cheers

M
Old 09-14-2006, 03:04 PM
PuttingThePoorBackInPorsche
Advanced

$300 for an ALIGNMENT?!?! Crikey man!

Quick Reply: Right front makes a clunk over hard bumps, any ideas?