Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greetings

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006 | 05:52 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DanG
Cra$h, I'm insanely jealous of that thing.
From what I hear, you don't have much to be jealous about!

Crash:
Welcome!
Old 07-18-2006 | 08:35 PM
Cra$h
Instructor

Originally Posted by DanG
Ah, I must have missed this the first time around. FYI guys, Crash also built a V8-powered 944 for the Grassroots Challenges...
Gee thanks Dan... Now they're all going to think I'm one of THOSE guys...

And you will probably fill your shorts if he reveals any more details about this new one.

Cra$h, I'm insanely jealous of that thing.
Originally Posted by Andial951
very nice....welcome...........ok so tell us what is under the hood..........we are dyeing to know........
Andial951, It's not so much what's in it, as the story of how I got it.

Originally Posted by MichelleJD
From what I hear, you don't have much to be jealous about!

Crash:
Welcome!
MichelleJD, you're absolutely right. I think it's the other way around, except Dan probably wishes he spent as much as I did instead.

Which leads me to the explanation.

The first time I wrote it up, it was quite the novel, but I can't find it posted anywhere, so I'll try to remember it best I can.

I randomly went to my local u-pull-it junkyard on a Saturday afternoon. Not looking for anything specifically, just to see what was new, as they cycle inventory very fast - about 300 cars a week in and out.

I typically go straight into the yard which is ahead and to the right. This time I took a look to the left which is the incoming "processing" area for draining fluids, cat removal, etc. Low and behold there's a sad little Porsche sitting next to various half crushed cars. My eyes get big and my first thought is what time do I need to get up in the morning to make sure I get first crack at it once it goes out.

I go back into the building and ask about it rather nervously and trying desparately not to appear too eager. I know a bunch of the staff there, so I was hoping to find out some details ahead of time. Manager says a guy brought it in with a blown engine, but it's got a bunch of aftermarket stuff on it.

Occasionally if they're in a good mood, they'll let you put on a hard hat and go out and look, but you can't get any parts until it actually goes out. So I go out. It was about a 100 ft away when I first spotted it, so I didn't know if it was really a 951, but you already know that it was at this point.

As I walk up to it, the first thing I realized was it still had wheels. All 4. This is known as a "miracle" in this yard. Not only that, but they had near new rubber! So I'm going to get an extra set of wheels for the race car, what else? Dark tinted glass all around, and ... and... this is odd... there's no body damage, just oxidized paint and a bunch of rock chips. Why is this out here? It's too bad I can't just buy the whole car........

Open the door.

12 way Porsche script cloth power seats (stained and driver seat has a tear, but cleanable and fixable).
Had a big stereo. No deck or amp, but all speakers and wiring intact.
Oh nifty! Boost gauge and MBC in custom panel below stereo!
Open glove compartment - pants feel a little tighter.. ARC2 and ARM1.

(Um. Am I in the twilight zone or something? This is a cheap a$$ junkyard. They don't EVER get cars like this. It's one size fits all pricing, so they don't spend very much on cars they take in - which means they don't get cars like this!)

Pop hood.

Huntley MAF
Huntley FPR
Weltmeister strut bar
Koni adjustables
camber plates
Ground Control coilovers
Hypercoil springs
Brembo drilled rotors
ss brake lines
KFP pads

Blown engine??? Who cares!!!

The walk back to the offices took an eternity. I thank the manager for letting me go take a look. He asks me if I want to buy it (he knows about my race car). How much, I ask trying to keep from twitching.

---QUICK! in 3 seconds or less, what would you pay for this car?---

Oh, how about $650 he says.

No joke.

You take VISA right?

So I call my friend up (one hand went for the wallet and one for the cell) and kindly ask that he GET DOWN HERE WITH THE TRAILER BEFORE THEY CHANGE THEIR MIND!

So we get it home and I immediately start poking and prodding. I wonder what exactly is blown. Hmmm. Timing belt seems fine. Turns over by hand just fine. Eh, what the heck, let's hook up the battery and try and see if it'll start.

And it does.

Of course it was quickly determined that it must be related to the Exxon Valdez given all the oil it was puking on the crossover pipe... But it runs, and runs well.

If it help you hate me any less, there's probably 200 hours of labor in getting the car to point you see in my avatar, including various seals, gaskets, and some bigger parts, but all told, much less than $2000 invested in it.

It's going to be a Grassroots challenge car as well. It will never make sense to me how that car ended up there with everything still on it...

And no, sorry to disappoint some of you, it's not stolen.
Old 07-18-2006 | 09:14 PM
Camaro_Muncher
Pro

..........I hate you.

jkjk sweet car, wish that happened to me
Old 07-18-2006 | 09:20 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

awesome story, that is just amazing!
Old 07-18-2006 | 09:25 PM
Camaro_Muncher
Pro

Hey SamGrant951 what kind of wheels are those? I have a ot noob question where do i change my signature? cant find any place in user cp.
Old 07-18-2006 | 09:46 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

<-------- heading out to the local junk yard.........fingers crossed.............
Old 07-19-2006 | 12:27 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Originally Posted by Camaro_Muncher
Hey SamGrant951 what kind of wheels are those? I have a ot noob question where do i change my signature? cant find any place in user cp.
dont think non members can have signatures...my wheels are 18" Kinesis Supercups - centers are powdercoated a metallic gray.
Old 07-19-2006 | 12:41 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cra$h: Where abouts in Colorado are you? There are a few of us planning on getting together at the Sonic Drive-In in Longmont on Sunday, we'd love to have you join us. Still nailing down the details on time, etc. on the GTG but I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-19-2006 | 01:08 AM
tuc
Advanced

Very nice find. I remember seeing your 951 at ACC. There are a few of us Rennlisters in the SW Littleton are. See you around town.

Gregeast, can you PM me the get together details for Sunday... been busy and I'm sure I'll miss the post.

tuc

Originally Posted by gregeast
Cra$h: Where abouts in Colorado are you? There are a few of us planning on getting together at the Sonic Drive-In in Longmont on Sunday, we'd love to have you join us. Still nailing down the details on time, etc. on the GTG but I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-19-2006 | 01:21 AM
CO951
Burning Brakes

Great looking car! Which junk yard did you get it at? Hope to see you around.
Old 07-19-2006 | 07:13 PM
Cra$h
Instructor

Originally Posted by gregeast
I'm in Broomfield. Probably going to be busy, but sounds like fun. I'll see what I can do!

Originally Posted by tuc
Very nice find. I remember seeing your 951 at ACC. There are a few of us Rennlisters in the SW Littleton are. See you around town.
I met quite a few very nice people at the show. Were you one of them?

Originally Posted by CO951
Great looking car! Which junk yard did you get it at? Hope to see you around.
Thanks! I got it at PullNSave in Aurora. If you've ever been there, you'll understand why this was so bizarre. I've been going there for years, for awhile it was almost every weekend, and I think I've seen a total of 6 Porsches come through. Mostly ratty early 924s. They have really good prices, but since they sell stuff so cheap, you rarely see anything of substantial value come in. For that matter, check out them out online and look at the pricelist to see what I mean. http://www.pullnsave.com

Old 07-19-2006 | 07:23 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Welcome Cra$h

Quick Reply: Greetings