Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issues using "cooler" thermo fan switch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 01:25 PM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
Perhaps if you could explain why having the thermo fan switch cool the radiator down a bit more is going to be different from driving down the highway on a cool day, I'd understand your point a bit more clearly.
The fact is it's not. You're just running the fan to achieve an affect that the engineers didn't want and didn't think necessary.

I expect that wearing out the fan and using a bit of extra gas to do it doesn't have much traction with most of this crowd.

On the using gas issue, those of us who live in variable climates and track gas mileage will report that summer mileage is much better than winter mileage. This goes beyond not running the heater and warm-up times to that the engine is more efficient when running hotter. I can verify this personally having run the experiment while in engineering school where we varied the operating temperature of an engine while measuring the BSFC (brake-specific fuel economy): you get more power from the gas when running the engine hotter. This is to a point , of course, but that point is beyond ~220F.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:26 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

AR10 is right. If you study thermodynamics, a hotter engine is more efficient than a cooler one. However thermodynamic efficiency is not the concern here. Getting your engine to operate at the designed temperature is.

Just because humans are uncomfortable at 83C doesn't mean your engine is uncomfortable. The engine was designed to run at this temperature for various reasons, including bearing clearances. So if you put in a lower temp thermostat, it may psychologically make you feel better by seeing the gauge lower, but the engine may not be as happy. It's possible you could be causing more wear on it.

Putting in a lower temp thermo switch will just wear out your fan motors. I do mostly highway driving and they never come on. I could probably count on my hand the number of times they came on in the last two years.

1984 911 Carrera Coupe - Guards Red (gone, but not forgotten)
"If you're not living on the edge, you're not living"
Old 06-19-2006, 01:39 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I have to disagree with you guys, the fans as previously mentioned will only run during stop and go traffic. While you are moving the fans are not running, also the low temp. thermostat is sold by Porsche so I think if they thought that it would do harm than they would not make it available. The lower temp is not significant enough to make engine wear an issue and another thing is that the coolant temp. is not always directly connected to oil temps. There is my speel and disagree as you may. The fact is I run both and my car runs perfectly fine and is in the normal temperature range.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:29 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
I have to disagree with you guys, the fans as previously mentioned will only run during stop and go traffic. While you are moving the fans are not running, also the low temp. thermostat is sold by Porsche so I think if they thought that it would do harm than they would not make it available. The lower temp is not significant enough to make engine wear an issue and another thing is that the coolant temp. is not always directly connected to oil temps. There is my speel and disagree as you may. The fact is I run both and my car runs perfectly fine and is in the normal temperature range.
not necessarily true.

going up the hill from work or driving flat/level/60 mph, the fans are on by the middle mark and stay on unless i'm on a long downhill stretch.

Old 06-20-2006, 07:14 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys, you are all talking about COOLANT tempreatures.....no-one mentioned OIL tempreatures....THAT's where it counts the most (remember those air cooled 911's?) oil temp matters most for the 'efficient' range......

During winter months (low 50'sF during the night), my coolant is runing at 75-80C all the time at highway speeds when fully warm, i rarely heard the high spped fans kick in, even in traffic. The oil temp. was different, it was always in the 175-190 range, maybe 200F in traffic. Manual called for normal operating temp for oil is 80C (176F), which is well in the 'normal' range, and that is with both lower thermostat and switch.

In summer (now), coolant reads 85C or so, but oil temps are in the 190-200F during highway, and reach 220 in traffic. Even then, the coolant reads 85-90C.....which matters the most? oil or water emps?

Originally Posted by AR10
I repeat; if the coolant is not boiling the engine is not overheating.
My NA overheated (went midway in the red zone) and the coolant was not boiling under the pressurized system, release the pressure, and watch it overflow like mad.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:28 PM
AR10
Racer

Temp. guages are not very accurate. In your case it was telling you the temp.
was at the upper limit, but if it was not boiling it was still safe.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:29 PM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
You guys, you are all talking about COOLANT tempreatures.....no-one mentioned OIL tempreatures....THAT's where it counts the most (remember those air cooled 911's?) oil temp matters most for the 'efficient' range......
On these engines the cylinder and head are at the water temperature so that's what matters for efficiency.

Oil temp is what matters for crank and rod wear protection.

This is why engine management systems look at water temps and racers want oil temps.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:30 PM
Crunky
Pro

I repeat; if the coolant is not boiling the engine is not overheating.
So, if I use no anti-freeze at all, I mean run straight water, it reaches over 200 degrees F, and starts to boil its overheating? But if I run straight anti-freeze and it reaches 240 F and desnt boil, than its not overheating and everything is fine?
I'm not trying to be rude or pick a fight or anything, but I don't understand your reasoning....
Old 06-20-2006, 11:13 PM
AR10
Racer

Well, I`m just a cranky old fart who`s been around these things for a lifetime
and I know that the manufacturers require antifreeze and pressure caps so they can run more efficient temps. I also own an aircooled car (Corvair) and the cyl. temps. typically run around 240F Same thing for my aircooled 1946 airplane.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:15 PM
AR10
Racer

Forgot to mention that oil temps on both aircooled engines usually run
200F to 220F.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:57 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

What year corvair do you have? I just sold my fully restored 64 daytona blue coupe and before that I had a 66 artesian torquoise 4 door.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:50 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Temp. guages are not very accurate. In your case it was telling you the temp.
was at the upper limit, but if it was not boiling it was still safe.
Ok, then how did this happen?

I lost my H2O pump at Watkins Glen on the track. The temp guage went into the red - car overheated - coolant spewed out of the coolant over-flow valve.

I managed to drive it home (cool October day), but it did overheat once more on the ride home.

About a year later, my head developed a crack.

My car had about 130k miles on it at the time, and I bought it used, so I don't know if any other over-heating issues occurred.

For me, the bottom line is: I don't want to overheat my motor again. It may be the most powerful if you get it up to those temperatures, but it's also the most expensive way to run a motor, since you'll likely cause damage.

-Z.

PS: Lots of racing orgs require cars to run with straight water instead of coolant on the racetrack. Why? water evaporates - coolant turns into a slippery substance on the track.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:08 PM
AR10
Racer

black944turbo: It is a 1965 Corsa convertable 140hp. Body is all apart and in the body shop
for resto. to original.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:10 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Cool, good luck with that. What color? Corsa's are nice cars and lots of fun.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:16 PM
AR10
Racer

turbo: It is Forest Green, black int. and black top.

Quick Reply: Issues using "cooler" thermo fan switch?