Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downshift or brake?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006 | 10:00 AM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Navy

Default Downshift or brake?

When exiting the highway or taking an easy turn, which is better for the car, downshifting or braking?

NC
'86 944 NA
Old 06-12-2006 | 10:17 AM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Brakes were designed specifically to stop a moving car - engines and tranmissions were designed specifically to move a stopped car...........
Old 06-12-2006 | 10:18 AM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Braking. Is saving the pads worth a broken tranny? If you think it is by all means, it's your car. IMHO I would advise against down shifting for braking.
Old 06-12-2006 | 10:21 AM
Z-man
Race Director

NEVER DOWNSHIFT IN ORDER TO SLOW THE CAR DOWN!

Brakes are for slowing the car down - the transmission is to connect the motor to the wheels.

Brake pads and rotors are cheap. Transmissions and clutches are expensive.

-Z-man.
Old 06-12-2006 | 10:33 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

When exiting the highway, AFTER you brake to slow the car down, you have to down-shift, unless you plan on coasting all the way home! So the answer to the question is yes, to keep going at a slower speed, and NO to slow down.

Right?
Old 06-12-2006 | 11:25 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Andy:
You first slow down using the brakes, and when the car has slowed down to the point that it warrants a lower gear, then you shift down to the next year.

BTW: NCPorsche - perhaps you've heard of "heel-toe-downshifting?" This is a technique used in racing that enables the driver to grab a lower gear while under braking. Selecting the lower gear should have no effect on the braking attitude of the car. If you're driving with a proficient heel-toe downshifter, you wouldn't even feel when the lower gear is selected.

-Z.
Old 06-12-2006 | 11:29 AM
BlueDog944
Pro

trick question... NEITHER! if you are on a ramp to turning you shouldn't be downshifting or braking at all. You should have that work done by the time you get to the turn. Go take a DE and you'll understand why.
Old 06-12-2006 | 11:42 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z-man
Andy:
You first slow down using the brakes, and when the car has slowed down to the point that it warrants a lower gear, then you shift down to the next year.
-Z.
That's what I said Z!

You hit the brakes, wonder what that vibration is, shift it into a lower gear, wonder what that drivetrain noise is...check your gas guage and wonder why it says 3/4 when you just filled up...then go on your way!
Old 06-12-2006 | 12:04 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AndyK
That's what I said Z!

You hit the brakes, wonder what that vibration is, shift it into a lower gear, wonder what that drivetrain noise is...check your gas guage and wonder why it says 3/4 when you just filled up...then go on your way!
Lol. Almost makes me miss my 944. Except, my e30 is no different.
Old 06-12-2006 | 12:23 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by BlueDog944
trick question... NEITHER! if you are on a ramp to turning you shouldn't be downshifting or braking at all. You should have that work done by the time you get to the turn. Go take a DE and you'll understand why.
Well, unless you're trailbraking into the corner!

I think NC's point was whether to use the tranny or brakes to slow the car down, and clearly, the answer is use the brakes.

-Z.
Old 06-12-2006 | 01:18 PM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Navy

Thanks for the replies. While my question might be construed as rudimentary, this bit of additional knowledge and the quick responses makes Rennlist the web-site for all things Porsche.

I do hope to attend the next DE event at Carolina Motor Sports this fall. The car needs some optional front end work first.

As a follow-up question... Recently I had the back end lose traction on me for the first time. I was in the NC mountians on a gentle rise. The car in front of me pulled over to let me pass. I accellerated and then quickly found myself entering a hairpin turn. I was in second gear taching about 3k. The turn came so quickly I did not have the chance to slow down, so I accelerated, the rear slid out and then slid back. It happened so quick and furtunately there was no oncoming traffic.

What do you do in a situation like this, other than slow down before the turn?

NC
'86 944 NA
Old 06-12-2006 | 01:23 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NCporsche
The turn came so quickly I did not have the chance to slow down, so I accelerated, the rear slid out and then slid back. It happened so quick and furtunately there was no oncoming traffic.

Thank God you didn't buy an old 911?
Old 06-12-2006 | 01:49 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Well what if all downshifts are done with a rev-match or heel toe.. ?

Thats typically what i do for the street.

I did experiment with trail braking once for an exit ramp..never again, . Ill leave it to autocross.
Old 06-12-2006 | 02:48 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

I do both. I brake and right after i pushed the brakes (still braking) i downshift and revmatch. which is what downshifting SHOULD be...

putting it in a lower gear and popping out the clutch is stupidshifting.
Old 06-12-2006 | 02:51 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NCporsche
Thanks for the replies. While my question might be construed as rudimentary, this bit of additional knowledge and the quick responses makes Rennlist the web-site for all things Porsche.

I do hope to attend the next DE event at Carolina Motor Sports this fall. The car needs some optional front end work first.

As a follow-up question... Recently I had the back end lose traction on me for the first time. I was in the NC mountians on a gentle rise. The car in front of me pulled over to let me pass. I accellerated and then quickly found myself entering a hairpin turn. I was in second gear taching about 3k. The turn came so quickly I did not have the chance to slow down, so I accelerated, the rear slid out and then slid back. It happened so quick and furtunately there was no oncoming traffic.

NC
'86 944 NA
a warning to you. if it rains or it rained the day before or if you even THINK the ground is wet. do not take turns fast/semi fast/ even a little bit fast in your 944.

for some reason the 944 doesnt like it. i wrecked my car in that fashion. and countless other ppl have spun /wrecked. its worst at the top of hills while turning. SPIN!!!!

Quick Reply: Downshift or brake?