Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NorCal- 4th Wentworth Springs-Ice House Rd. Fun Run - 6/24

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 09:30 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by HIGHBOOST
So we are splitting up into groups, whats why don't we see how many cars we have first, then decide when we meet up off of 50. There is nothing wrong with a long line of cars, at the 969 meets, there are 100+ cars, and we only spilt into 2 groups.
Here's my plan and thoughts until it changes:
The 969 runs are great but like a car show, this one isn't. The main reason they travel slower is because they HAVE TO because of the size...I refuse to accept that the most vivid memories of any run are brake lights ahead of you...let's start from that premise OK?

For those of us pre-meeting at the Marriot at Sunrise and Hwy. 50 (98% of us unless folks on the Hwy 80 corridor want to get to Georgetown through Auburn) we'll drive up as a one long string of pretty cars on Hwy. 50 to Placerville. I'm hoping that we will have decided who we want to drive with back at Sunrise. We pull up at the junction of Hwy 49 and 193 to Georgetown (parking lot) and remember what group we were in. I think a 4-6 car group is better for the best roads and driving fun. As previously said, the drop into and out of the American River Canyon is steep (8%), hairy, and very tight. 15-20 cars at a time would be would be more akin to a freight train...someone would always want to go faster or feel they were being pushed. If the smaller groups stage about 3-5 minutes apart then we all get a fun filled day and the opportunity to really drive our cars. Following each other like lemmings isn't my idea of a Fun Run. By the time we get to Georgetown everyone will be begging for more trust me on this. The faster open sections (Wentworth Springs) can be done with more cars or less staging between groups. The Ice House Rd. drop back to 50 is again a tight steep circuit and we'll adjust accordingly because there will be other cars.

Please bear with me on this, I'm not trying to be Group Mom, I'm not young and I hate authority, but nothing spoils a good run more than saying "I wish we had more room between cars" at the end of the day. The trips I plan are not about special T-shirts, winery stops, banquets, or great lunches. We eat our bag lunches at picnic tables if we are lucky, yack up the car talk, and spend more windshield time than most any NorCal runs. I make up good maps for everyone with all stops shown and have been accused of being **** about this planning stuff...someone has to do it or we will all waste $3.30 premium for nothing. We've had some great runs from this area and we want to have more. Making everyone feel good about owning a performance car is what it's all about to me and most of those that have made these runs feel the same way I think. Any differing opinions are welcome but it will do you no good!

My wish is that someone in the first stage has a video cam, pulls over, and catches us all coming down the last section of Wentworth or the upper esses of Mormon Immigrant Trail. The view is something else with Crystal Basin in the background.

Have I said enough or should I call my Beer Nanny to open another one for me and subject dissenters to another onslaught?

Last edited by KuHL 951; 06-16-2006 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:47 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

seems good.

i think the first section (between 50 and georgetown) should be a good measure of people's spacing abilities, and confidence. when we stop in georgetown, we can go from there.

oh crap, i gotta tell erika to pack sandwiches again.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:17 PM
HIGHBOOST
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=95Juan]seems good.

i think the first section (between 50 and georgetown) should be a good measure of people's spacing abilities, and confidence.

Geez dude, its not that technical, it's a canyon run. It's not like we are racing shifter karts here(which I am glad I don't have a race, that's why I can go).

Steve, you're doing a good job, thanks for planing this run for all of us!

Juan, what steering issues are you having? You mentioned something in the earlier posts. Will it be fixed in time? It better!
Old 06-15-2006, 10:32 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

yeah, it's going up on ramps tonight to see if i can find anything.

aside from that, it's going to the mechanic for a checkup and an oil change (kind of a "while you're in there thing), to see what's really up.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:16 AM
brad-cam
Burning Brakes

Juan, I've kept you in suspense long enough

I think the previous owner of my car ran it low on oil - actually, I know they did since when I got it, it was down 3.5 quarts !! Anyway, it sounded like a lifter but got worse on the ride as Steve says, and was banging loudly by the time I was at the top of the mountain. Drove it 140 miles home, knocking like an SOB. When I pulled the motor apart, the #2 rod bearing was in little pieces. This says something about the durability of these motors. A lessor motor would have thrown a rod through the block. Moral of the story is to just keep it topped up all the time with good quality oil and don't worry too much.

If anyone wants to turn this into a #2 rod bearing or "what oil is best" thread, "take off, eh?" (a tribute to my Canadian heritage).
Old 06-16-2006, 01:24 AM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Why is the testesterone level rising so far on this thread? Would everyone quit posting about blowing off this or that car, who can or can't drive well, and just enjoy the idea of going on a good run. There are many people that like to cruise fast and enjoy the road, some that drive harder but smart; then there are those that talk ****, drive recklessly but go over a cliff or roll over from stupidity. Anyone belonging to the latter group is strongly advised to stay home. We set a spirited pace but seriously folks this isn't Grand Theft Auto
sniff sniff.....hmmm.....smells like bad juju..........
Old 06-16-2006, 01:27 AM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chris luckett

Steve, I have an obligation to smack talk with Roger. We have a bet on the table!!!

But Steve is correct, everyone needs to drive within their limits regardless of how fast/slow others are diving. We had a streak of bad luck in the not to distant past. Let's not repeat that!

This is true.......but Chris lets save it for the track this time.....besides if I do make this ride I will likely have the misses with me and legal proceedings may occur immediately after the run if I push the limits.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:19 AM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Andial951
This is true.......but Chris lets save it for the track this time.....besides if I do make this ride I will likely have the misses with me and legal proceedings may occur immediately after the run if I push the limits.

thats cool. don't want to have to clean puke out of the car like at one of the pizza runs.

any of you other norcal guys up for a track day? everyone talks about it, but hardly anyone shows up to play.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:34 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Well we just hit 15 cars confirmed with 8 more riding the fence. I'll be posting more info for people unfamiliar with the area as the date gets nearer. A few simple facts are:
Have a full tank of gas by the pre-meet.There are no gas services until drivers get back to Pollock Pines on 50. We will be leaving Sunrise and Hwy. 50 no later than 8:15. Sandwiches can be made to order at a good Deli in Georgetown when we stop for a 1/2 hour or so. Bring your spouse, GF, or a friend, they're always welcome. Anyone have 2-way radios? I think I'll finally break down and buy a set this weekend. Until later.

Originally Posted by chris luckett
any of you other norcal guys up for a track day? everyone talks about it, but hardly anyone shows up to play
I can't speak for anyone else in this area but financially it's out of my reach at this point in my life with one son in college, another starting in the Fall, and only one source of income. Being fleet maintenance manager and buying parts for 5 cars is enough to keep me busy and broke most of the time.

Last edited by KuHL 951; 06-16-2006 at 02:49 AM.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:59 AM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

it's ok, steve- being fleet manager for 1 951 is enough to keep me broke

ok, so i dont have to bring in a pic-a-nic basket full of deli stuff to make my own sammiches?

i have a 2-way. only thing is.....it's roger's!

hahahahahahhaa.

dont worry, roger. you will get your 2-way back sometime soon.......
Old 06-16-2006, 03:07 AM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

well the 24th/25th was supposed to be the weekend for the track event at Buttonwillow.....so seems that is out when is the next one?
Old 06-16-2006, 03:16 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

well the 24th/25th was supposed to be the weekend for the track event at Buttonwillow.....so seems that is out when is the next one?
Who knows, this isn't really a club or anything. I plan one more trip in mid September(Fall Sierra Run) and Brad puts together a good one for the Sonoma Coast in Summer. Sorry you can't make it Roger. I hear the scenery and weather in Bakersfield is lovely this time of year...I lived there for 6 years. My mantra was 'Happiness is Bakersfield in your rear view mirror' I'll take your name off the list.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:39 AM
Hoss Ghoul
Instructor

Thumbs up

Hmmm...I'm guessing you're the Roger that was spoken of earlier...lol, I wouldn't want any of what you've got in a street race(reference to an earlier post-not mine) my dyno is about the same as yours, I weigh several hundred pounds more and I'm geared for the autobahn!

I appreciate the inclusion factor you've all put forward, even for my Camaro. Kuhl is a stand up guy, and has no doubt done alot of work to get this together.

It's about 140 miles to the starting point for me, but I'm planning on being there if I can tie up the details. If this weekend goes as smooth as possible I might be albe to bring my 924. Belive it or not I need a title on both my vehicles, I'm just this side of being a non-resident!
Old 06-16-2006, 05:23 AM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Who knows, this isn't really a club or anything. I plan one more trip in mid September(Fall Sierra Run) and Brad puts together a good one for the Sonoma Coast in Summer. Sorry you can't make it Roger. I hear the scenery and weather in Bakersfield is lovely this time of year...I lived there for 6 years. My mantra was 'Happiness is Bakersfield in your rear view mirror' I'll take your name off the list.
You misunderstood........I meant that since I will be going to this run I will not be going to the Buttonwillow event.....
Old 06-16-2006, 11:24 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

You misunderstood........I meant that since I will be going to this run I will not be going to the Buttonwillow event.....

Sorry, my bad. I must have a dyslexic keyboard. I've got you down driving the tow truck and bringing Brads spare motor right?

Quick Reply: NorCal- 4th Wentworth Springs-Ice House Rd. Fun Run - 6/24