Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can paying old debts hurt my credit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006 | 09:00 PM
Royalty
Banned

Question Can paying old debts hurt my credit?

I have a few older bills that i had put to the wayside a few years ago. Well times are good and I have the extra money to put all my debt to rest.

I was on MSN Money and I ran across this article that made me think I should just keep my money. When paying your bills can hurt your credit.

I want to get my debt striaght but I want to know if payign off my bills is going to hurt me or help me?

For those who dont care to read it a few cliff notes are.

The one bit of good news, though, is that what happened to Cynthia -- a score plunge because of a new payment on an old debt -- is much less likely to happen today. That's because the company that creates the leading credit score, the FICO, worked with credit bureaus to iron out that particular wrinkle in the formula.

But there are still other problems that can arise:

* Settling accounts for less than you owe can often hurt your credit scores.

* Arranging a payment plan or even inquiring about an old debt can restart the statute of limitations in some states, allowing creditors to sue youhnoes: .

* Simply contacting a creditor about a past-due account can revive its interest in trying to collect, leading to harassment and hardball tactics.

* Unethical collection agencies may promise to upgrade how your debt appears on your credit report in exchange for payment -- then not follow through or make matters worse by making the debt seem more recent than it is.
It seems that by trying to resolve an old debt, i'm actually settign myself up tto get screwed.

I also saw this

If the original creditor shows a charge-off with a balance still owed, you might be able to boost your score by paying off the bill and getting the original creditor to reset the balance to zero.

If the balance is already zero -- which credit bureaus say is typical when a collection agency takes over an account -- you can't improve your score by paying up.

"If the trade line balance is showing zero, you're not going to help your FICO score by paying off a collections account,"
I thought about settling BUT...Why even mess with it in the first place?

You still can hurt your score, however, by "settling" an account for less than what you owe. Such settlements may get the creditor off your back, but the notation of "settled" on your credit report can sometimes be worse for your FICO score than just :whoa: leaving the account open and unpaid, said Barry Paperno, a Fair Isaac manager.
I found that our Statutes of Limitations.
Virginia Statutes of Limitation

Open account: 3 years from the last payment or last charge for goods or services rendered on the account.

Written contracts (non-UCC): 5 years.

Sale of goods under the UCC: 4 years.

Virginia Judgments: 10 years, and renewable (extended) to 20 years.

Foreign judgments: 10 years.
Old 06-11-2006 | 10:57 PM
icat
Race Car

Once debts are charged off you can not improve the report by paying off the old obligation. A new creditor isn't interested in the fact that you eventually paid, only that you pay on time from the get go. In my opinion you will not improve your credit.
Old 06-11-2006 | 11:04 PM
Royalty
Banned

Well as of right now I have

1 charge off - 4/2001 - i am really interesed in this one
1 collection - 11/2001 - and this one
&
1 collection - 7/2004 - I am making pymnts to bring balance to zero
and
1 closed credit card - its recent and I am making pymnts to bring balance to zero
Old 06-11-2006 | 11:48 PM
ChrisJ951
Burning Brakes

I would try to fight all of those. The creditor has 30 days to respond or its taken off your reprot. Order a copy of your credit report from the 3 major companies. Experian, Trans Union and Equifax and dispute all negitive stuff. You may be surprised at who doesn't provide an update in 30 days. It's definately worth a shot.
Old 06-12-2006 | 12:48 AM
Royalty
Banned

well my conscines doesnt bother me one bit, his *** doesnt make any money.

I can wait the 2 years andn be done with it forever. Va statue is 3 years and that time has passed a loooong time ago.

THis is good avice. i can jsut keep my money, pay my two easy debts off with and go from there.

I am looking to buy a duplex thats why I am eger to pay this off. Well in my case my father said he would cosign to get a duplex. I have the finances and focus now to meet all my finiancial obligations. I will NOT loose my house.

THanks again fells

Quick Reply: Can paying old debts hurt my credit?