Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different Oil Seal Part Numbers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 05:15 PM
ross944S
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different Oil Seal Part Numbers?

I know people ask questions about the front oil seals a hundred times a day but I searched and I still have questions. I ordered the front seal kit from Vertex (probably a mistake) and all the seals have different part numbers than the ones I removed. The ones I removed have the normal part numbers that everyone posts here, but my new ones are different so I can't tell where they go. None of them have arrows either.

I can tell which one the crank seal is because it is the biggest.

The other three are:

32 47 7 R 3 SOG 113288

MKS 601014 HSCL 30 48 7 3

MKS 601017 HSCR 30 47 7 3

I think the first one is the cam seal. The second one with the "HSCL" is slightly bigger than the "HSCR" one (the 1 mm difference), so I'm pretty sure they are the balance shaft seals. Do the L and R mean left and right? And if so, left and right looking at the engine from the front or looking at it from the drivers seat?

Has anyone seen these part numbers before, or can anyone tell me which balance shaft takes the larger seal? Thanks.

Ross
Old 06-11-2006, 10:33 PM
austin944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

The lower balance shaft takes the larger 48mm seal, the 47mm seal goes on the upper balance shaft. On my '84 engine the lower balance shaft seal is the same part number as the cam shaft seal.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:10 PM
ross944S
6th Gear

Thanks...the cam seal and the smaller of the two balance shaft seals are the same size, but they have slightly different grooves and ridges in them.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:41 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

#1 Thing to know! WHAT IS YOUR ENGINE NUMBER!!!!!

IF, someone has changed this engine on ya, you could play HELL.......trying to figure out WHAT you've got! FIND IT, AND KNOW IT! TSB's show changes in seals AND their applications, and WHY....depending on ENGINE numbers.

#2: KNOW...........that some, if not MOST vendors will "package" front engine seals for a specific model/engine number car, and it will NOT always have ALL the seals in it that may apply to your specific car. (SEE RULE #1 ABOVE)

#3: Yes, there is a difference of 1mm between some of these seals. Be careful. Notice the directions of the arrows on these seals also.

Sorry, I'm not gonna look up numbers and such for YOUR application. Thats YOUR responsibility.
HELL.........you never even SAID in your posting........what year/model your car is!!!.............SO.........your YMMV.

DON't forget the O-ring part of the crankshaft seal. IF, you don't know the procedure for "proper" install (of ANY of these seals), than please.......come back and ASK. In otherwords, learn/research BEFORE you begin, or take your chances. Sounds to me, like your asking first, so I'm confident your on the RIGHT track!!

Good luck Ross! WELCOME to RENNLIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-14-2006, 05:31 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Yea...first time I changed the main seal, the delivered part no. (and color) did not line up...and the seal leaked...so i bought from a diff. company, got the proper number and no leak this time. But the seals looked the same to me...so i'm no help to you...and just as confused. I know that for these things I now go to Sunset Sports in Oregon for original Porsche parts and I've not had problems. Maybe it was my bad the first time but I'm not taking chances. Just doing what works for me.

Harvey
Old 06-15-2006, 01:10 AM
ross944S
6th Gear

Thanks for the replies guys. The car is an 88 944 S.

Granite 944 - Not to be rude but I wasn't asking for someone to go take apart their car to find the numbers on their seals for me, I was asking if anyone happened to know the part numbers since I've seen members post lists of part numbers for specific jobs before.

Hughett - I completely agree. Original Porsche parts are a much safer bet than anything else.

I fired it up tonight and there are no leaks except for a drop of oil right under the filter....probably because I reused the filter and the o-ring since I didn't have another one on me at the time. I'll be replacing that soon.

Thank you all for the help.

Ross
Old 06-15-2006, 01:42 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Granite 944 is right. I have a spare motor for the NA marked as an 86 from the salvage source that came with the 83. Ordered seals and something seemed wrong. Checked the block numbers and ordered accordingly...it was a early 85 build date in an 86 MY car

Quick Reply: Different Oil Seal Part Numbers?