Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump won't turn off - Not DME relay

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 08:04 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fuel pump won't turn off - Not DME relay

It didn't seem to do this until I ran it a few minutes today. The fuel pump will not turn off even with teh key out. I've tried two DME relays... so I"m pretty sure its not that.

I've done pretty much EVERYTHING to the car so thats nto really a good start lol..... any ideas?

alternators not charging either and cooling fans are staying running... probably unrelated but.. ugh.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:04 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

If i take teh DME relay out, and put it back in, its usually off until i turn the key again.. again, same thign with either DME
Old 06-08-2006, 09:42 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Do you have another DME (not relay) that you could try? My burned car did the same thing and I'm pretty sure that the DME that was in it was bad. Of course the wiring in that car was pretty whacked out and it could have been the ignition switch or some shorted wiring too.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:00 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

well.. i did put an frwilke chip in .. does the chip do any controlling of on / off of the fuel pump?? grr. I don't have a spare DME.. unless someone near by has an 85-87 DME i think those are the only ones compatable.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:59 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

:/ now its going any time the dme relay is in..
Old 06-08-2006, 11:04 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you mess with the ignition switch?
Old 06-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

I don't think so. I did bypass the alarm which was never actually working anyway but i had found a key cylidner for it in the fender behind the driver door and didn't want it there. I bypassed it by jumping the relay down by the DME as shown i think on clarks, or somewhere.

Mark, you know these dme's somewhat right? Is there any control of power to the fuel pump by the chip or the DME? All i did was open the DME, put in an FRWilk chip that just pushes in where the stock chip was. I'm a computer guy.. I don't think i messed that up but could I have?

I'll probably start a different thread for this whole thing, but this is where I am right now.. maybe it's all related.

Alternator is not charging! it did prior to the rebuild process.. I don't know what happened.. (mark, you don't have a good alternator do you? )

Fuel pump stays on as long as DME relay is in.

Cooling fans were staying on but i just replaced the fan switch in the radiator and I THINK it is gone.. But I'll have to heat the car up again to tell.

Anything I did that I can think of that could have to do with this:
Iceshark battery cable kit
fr wilk chip
alarm bypass

I think that's it... It just seems to me this may all be related, because its kind of weird for all this not charging and fuel pump styaing on , and even cooling fans staying on is a little random when it all worked before even if it was a year ago.

God this is depressing. Any help would be appreciated, before I go running around buying alternators and DME's that end up not even helping me.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:07 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The alarm bypass can effect the alt and the DME relay in the way described. See post below for the procedure for the bypass.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ighlight=alarm
Old 06-09-2006, 12:08 AM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

I dont think it is the chip or dme, the ignition switch and relays control the fuel pump as far as I know, but I do not have a wiring diagram in front of me. How are you sure the battery isnt charging? I have seen a battery get so low that the alternator would not charge it, the car would just die, but after trickle charging the battery for a day the alternator worked fine.

Double check the wiring on the alternator that you must have taken out to do the iceshark stuff.

Can you undo the steps to bypass the alarm? Too much going on at once!

I used my last good alternator just recently, sorry.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:12 AM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Well, I hadnt seen what brian wrote until after I posted, he is probably right
Old 06-09-2006, 12:22 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Hmm.. well i drove it like 5-10 miles testing the car out with it not charging so i'm pretty sure the battery was strong enough tehn. just now trying to test more things (checked alternator wiring, put a new connector on teh exciter wire, checked continuity of it to the firewall plug, etc), i ran it with the battery really close to dead... and wow it does funny things when the battery is that weak. it wouldn't do much of anything if i gave it throttle!

I'll check the alarm bypass again tomorrow but i couldve sworn i made a nice jumper and did it right. that thread about the alarm is crazy confusing but I'll look at it in the morning and see what I can work out.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:46 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe this will help, jumper pins 1 and 4 together and also jumper pins 7 to 8 together. If you do it incorrectly, the alt will not charge and the DME relay will always stay on or will never turn on. This sound like the problem you are having.

From the post:
adding a wire connection between 1 and 4 will cause the DME relay to activate with the ignition switch. The wire connection between 7 and 8 should allow the alternator to work.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:01 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Alright. i definately made two jumper wires.. now just to pray i jumpered teh wrong places! i'll post back in the morning.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:09 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

OK, does the small plug with two wires need to stay plugged in also, or is both that and teh relay supposed to be disconnected? How do you tell which pin is which? I had jumpers that look like they would be 1-4 and 7-8 by their orientation but I don't seem to be able to tell where 1 is
Old 06-09-2006, 12:16 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

For what it's worth, teh two wire plug coming from teh DME harness, and the two wire plug coming from the alarm harness are two different connectors.. the one from the wiring harness is brown and brown/white.. and the one from the alarm is black and red wires... which goes to which/

I pulled my jumper out of 1-4 (what i think is 1-4) and teh fuel pump doesnt work at all. I put it in, and teh fuel pump runs continuously once the key is turned.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump won't turn off - Not DME relay