Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump won't turn off - Not DME relay

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 01:04 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

probably is unrelated.. but fuel pump turns off if i unplug the plug at the firewall for the ignition / alternator exciter wires..
Old 06-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the fuel pump turns off when you disconnect the jumper for the alt, something is wrong with the jumpers. Are you sure you are counting the pins correctly on the connector with the jumper wires? Can you supply a picture with the jumpers?
Old 06-09-2006, 01:53 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

I assum you know which plug I was talking about, the one at teh firewall near the brake booster that joins teh exciter wire and ignition wires.

Just to be sure, does it matter if that 2 wire connector is connected or not? I believe in teh thread someone said it was the horn alarm and another battery wire or something? I've tried it either way and it makes no difference.

heres a picture. I also went by wire colors from your post in that thread.

First pic is top view

side view

black and white / green jumper (7/8)

blue and yellow red jumper (7/8)
Attached Images     
Old 06-09-2006, 01:54 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

I put the stock chip in (instead of the FRWilk one) and it's acting the same.

I've also checked continuity between the ends of my jumpers and they are good.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:04 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

On clarks garage, he shoes the alarm module still being connnected, with the jumpers in teh back of the plug. do i need the alarm module? I thought you could remvoe it if you did this.

oh and now i see that those two wires are not supposed to connect to anything because they also plug in the alarm box.. hopefully i didn't kill anything. The car still runs, that's a good sign.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:14 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

OK, despite the wire colors sounding right... it looks like i had 7/8 wrong, theya re on teh other side of teh plug compared to frwilk.

Now, fuel pump stays on if i turn the key to teh second position, then off. But if i start teh car, and turn it off, fuel pump is now off.

Still not charging though...? maybe that is unrelated.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:24 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

From what you described, the DME relay is working correctly. The strange thing is that 7 to 8 connection is for the alt, not the relay. You need to look at the connection again to insure you are on the right pins.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:30 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Beab, teh fuel pump is supposed to stay on if you turn off the key and havent run the car?

This is really weird. My alternator isn't charging either, i took it out and am going to try to put a new regulator in and see if maybe that helps? (crosses fingers).

In this picture, is it looking from the top of the plug (where the wires are coming out),
or is it looking at the bottom ofteh plug where my jumpers are?
Old 06-09-2006, 04:46 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry, I thought you were stating the fuel pump came on when you turned on the ignition. I didn't understand it ran with the ignition off and this is incorrect. I will get out the books when I get home and check the pins on the connector.

Brian
Old 06-09-2006, 04:59 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Yeah if I run it and shut it off, the fuel pump shuts off correctly. If i turn the key to the on position, then turn the key off, the pump stays running. This is ok as long as I never do that and forget..for all I know it couldve always been that way.

I'm goign to get my alternator tested tomorrow hopefully, or else just buy a new one next week to see if that is the problem.. but i tend to doubt teh alternator just died completely out of the blue.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:49 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Just if it helps any.. i took out the alternator cleaned all teh contacts checked the regulator, etc. i tried turning the key to the on position and checkign voltage to the exciter wire disconnected from teh alt and i got no voltage.. shoudlnt the exciter be getting voltage? makes me think it is not the alternator.

I tried pulling the 7/8 jumper and nothing on the car seems to work any different.. that's a bad thing I assume?
Old 06-09-2006, 07:00 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yieldsign2
Beab, teh fuel pump is supposed to stay on if you turn off the key and havent run the car?

This is really weird. My alternator isn't charging either, i took it out and am going to try to put a new regulator in and see if maybe that helps? (crosses fingers).

In this picture, is it looking from the top of the plug (where the wires are coming out),
or is it looking at the bottom ofteh plug where my jumpers are?
The view above is looking into the pins on the alarm unit.

I looked at the pictures and the connections appear correct,
Blue(8) to Yellow/Red(7)
Green(4) to Black/White(1)

Need to measure some voltages. Alarm unit disconnected, Pin 1 on the alarm plug should go to 12VDC when the ignition switch is turned on, it should go to 0 VDC with the switch off. With 1 shorted to 4 on the alarm plug, the DME relay should have 12VDC on pin 86 and you should hear the first DME relay turn on. With the first DME relay on, you should measure 12VDC at pin 87 of the DME relay. When you turn off the ignition, pin 87 should go to 0VDC.

With the ignition on, alarm unit disconnected, you should measure 12VDC at pin 7 of the alarm unit and 0 VDC on pin 8. With pins 7 shorted to 8, you should measure around 2VDC on pins7&8 and on D+/61 of the alternator.

The low voltage on D+ is because the field windings are drawing a load (alt light is on). As soon as the car starts, the alternator starts working and D+ goes up in voltage and the alt light turns off. I found this link with google that has more details.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...oubleshoot.htm

Last edited by Bri Bro; 06-09-2006 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:51 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

thanks a ton, i'll check that out in an hour or so
Old 06-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Test with pin 1:
0 VDC with key off, no warning light on instrument cluster.
12 VDC with key on
4 VDC next time i turn key off??? Warning light on instrument cluster.

Start the car, shut it off, no warning light and back to 0 VDC at pin 1.

is this my ignition switch, or is it too weird/predictable?
Old 06-09-2006, 09:20 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

warning light is not on with the ignition in the first or second position. It only goes on once the key is off after not running (while teh fuel pump is running with the key off)

Quick Reply: Fuel pump won't turn off - Not DME relay