Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to do some suspension work...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006 | 04:33 PM
Crunky
Pro

Default About to do some suspension work...

Hey guys, I'm getting ready to do some maintence on my '84 944, I'm planning on replacing all suspension bushings, swaybars, control arms, ect, and doing ball joints while I'm at it. Have also noticed that the rear shocks are about at the end of their life-span, I don't think the shocks or struts have EVER been replaced. And since I'm going to be doing work in that area anyways, I was thinking of doing some upgrading aswell. What would you reccomend for mostly street, and maybe some Ax, and possibly very light track use? Ie, springs, swaybars, and T-bar settings?
Are the Koni yellows really that great? I was originally planning on going with the KYB Gas-Adjusts all the way around, as the Konis are out of my price range if I'm going to do everything at once. I mean the car handles excellent as it is with stock setup, but I want to improve it a bit more, while not making it too harsh a ride, as it is my DD right now. And I'm pretty use to having a rough ride, I had been driving my baja bug for DD and its STIFF trust me.
Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 06-03-2006 | 05:20 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

LOTS of threads here on this subject with LOTS of thoughts. Worth doing the search and reading until your head hurts.

For my money, on a street car with occasional Auto-X...

- M030 Sway Bars
- Leave stock (rubber bushings) all around
- Replace struts/shocks with Koni Yellow via Paragon

Set all shocks to about 3/4 firm, rear M030 sway to full tight, run reasably wide rubber (205/225 min). Just a good comfy set-up without big $$ or work, IMHO.
Old 06-03-2006 | 06:32 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Use the KYBs if you have blown shocks and you want the least expensive replacement. Go with bilstein sports or konis if you want to "improve handling."

If you simply want more grip, just get good tires. It'll make the biggest difference over any kind of suspension upgrade.

Do a search, tons of discussion on this matter in the past.

Quick Reply: About to do some suspension work...