Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006 | 01:56 AM
silverBean
Burning Brakes

Question Stereo Question

Alrighty, so yesterday my car stereo just decides to go haywire. It is an MB Quart NRA450 head unit. The am/fm radio still works perfectly fine. When I have a CD going, it sounds fine at first, but after a few tracks, i get a buzz throuh my speakers. It's not like feedback, but just this scratchy sound. It's not just on one disc, it's all of them. If I don't use it for a while, then it will work fine again, for a few songs, then the same thing. It eventually leads to skipping then the sound will cut out entirely, but the cd is still playing. Again, this only happens on CD's. The radio has no problems whatsoever. Could this be a dirty laser? How would I clean it. Compressed air like the stuff you use on a keyboard? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-28-2006 | 03:50 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

It almost sounds like a bad ground or that it's maybe overheating....? I don't know much about this type of stuff really, but that's my first guess.....
Old 05-28-2006 | 07:11 AM
namespace
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I would agree with robby on the overheating. My portable DVD did a similar thing with movies, skipped all over the place, disc got hot (hotter than normal) and eventually froze, with disc still spinning, cleaning the lense helped and cured it, BUT in your case, it sounds like one of the components on the CD audio out side of things could have gone (maybe a cap) and when it heats up, its enough for the audio to go bye bye
Old 05-28-2006 | 03:21 PM
Erzengal
Burning Brakes

It prolly isn't the laser, but if you want to clean the lense. Go to an Electronics Store and get a Laser Lense Cleaner Kit. It will be a CD with a little tiny brush on it and some cleaner. $10-20.

Quick Reply: Stereo Question