Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Balance belt question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 07:53 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Balance belt question

My belt makes noise after the car has warmed up. Its a high pitched squeek that you can only hear when the car is idleing, it sounds like the belt is rubbing on a thrust washer.
I took off the cover and let the car idle, and the balance belt looks like it wobbles back and forth as if all the sprockets were not aligned. I tightened the belt using 90° rule.

I tightened the crap out of the belt just to see what it would do and the wobble went away, but the belt would ride out and rub like crazy on the thrust washers (which is what probably caused them to break last time).

My question is....
The tensioner seems to be made of a plastic like material and may be worn? Would replacing this help me at all? Could the stud be bent? If so what stud would I replace it with.

Thanks for any suggestions
-Brett
Old 05-27-2006, 08:41 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you tensioned the balance shaft belt to 90 degrees, that is WAY too tight. The 90 degree rule applys to the timing belt. If it were me, I would set the car to TDC, remove all the belts and check the condition of all of the rollers, and then go from there.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:37 AM
mnypit944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can buy a kit with all the belts and rollers fairly cheap. I wouldnt take the chance. When I installed my belts, if I tightened it too tight it made a whistling noise, even on new rollers. So if you have it too tight it may be causeing part of your problem. If it is allready wobbling and you tightened the crap out of it you will cause whatever is making it wobble to break even sooner. Luckily the balance shaft is not as critical if it breaks. HOWEVER if it breaks and drops into the timing belt(especially a hard part) it will knock the timing belt off too.

Get the rollers replaced before you drive it. Unless you want to pull off the head for some reason.

John

Quick Reply: Balance belt question