Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Cloudy Day @ Warren Dunes, MI - A Tale of Two Porsches

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 01:05 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A Cloudy Day @ Warren Dunes, MI - A Tale of Two Porsches

Well with my never ending busy schedule the Memorial Day Weekend GTG for SW MI never materialized so me and the bro decided to take a hike up to the dunes, late this afternoon. Yes, you heard it right... Cory drove his car for the 1st time since 944Fest '05.

When we left Elkhart, IN it was sunny and warm (see picture below)

As we got about 5 mins from the beach we ran into this thick wall of fog and the temperature dropped about 30 degrees from one side of the road to the other. When we drove into the park it was so foggy, we turned our lights on. Here is what it looked like when we got there.

The famous huge Warren Dune that everybody parasails off of, was not even visable from the parking lot (see below)

You couldn't even see the lake from the parking lot

The fog just kept rolling in as we were there. People were literally running off of the beach to there cars and leaving... it was that cold (see picture)

And of course with the temperature that cold, my brother had to do what comes natural by all that water

Obligatory pic of ugly older brother and his '87 911 cab on the left

And after we hit the cars with a round of quick detailer, cleaned the tires/rims and put on tire shine for the trip home (yes we drove our cars there dirty ), the fog started to let up and you could finally see the top of Warren Dune behind us.

And finally my famous "take a picture of my brother behind me while I'm driving by holding the camera backwards, through the sunroof hole and taking as many shots as possible all while hoping maybe one of them turns out", I usually get one good one out of 10 shots. Well that didn't happen, but here are my best 2...

As usual, with 2 red Porsches driving through town my brother and I get tons of looks and inevitably someone always says something to one of us at a stop light or while we are stopped in traffic. Here was the best one today... while I'm stopped infront of my brother a guy in a tow truck looks over at my brother and said "hey - the guy in front of you just told me that his car was better looking and faster than yours", to which my quick tongued brother replied, "that's OK, he's my little brother and has never been known for being too bright!"

A fun day was definately had by both of us. Hope you enjoy the pictures and the story.

Cory
Old 05-27-2006, 01:11 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Oops - Forgot this *** shot of my brother. He has homosexual tendencies
Old 05-27-2006, 02:11 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Great photos. Sometimes the best drives are the ones with weird weather. Those look like the California coast this time of year. They call it the 'June Gloom" where the sun might break out right before sundown and it's not very warm. Nothing like two red cars in the fog to show off the red. It looks like the wind can really blow there, sand all over the parking lot. If I ever drove with my older brother he would be driving a Trans Am with the back seat filled with assorted empty bags but I bet he would 'do' my tire too...it's a Brother thing.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:33 AM
Speed Demon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Warren dunes is awsome!!!!

i should be going this memorial day weekend...

porscheless

Old 05-27-2006, 10:36 AM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

i figured you were busy or something, i was kinda hoping it would come about... i am going to be north this weekend anyways. oh well, im sure we can get something else around for some michigan people
Old 05-27-2006, 10:38 AM
Bill Lucas
Burning Brakes

Michigan? Beach? Not! lol

Those are great shots and a good story to boot. I wish my brother lived close enough for us to take excursions together.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:27 PM
Outrun
Cruisin'

Looks like fun!! Live everyday like it's your last...

Old 05-27-2006, 04:42 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

Great pics, looked like a fun time.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:09 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Nice Cory, congrats on getting her out for the first time.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:47 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Great photos... Nothing like two red cars in the fog to show off the red.
I was thinking the same thing

Originally Posted by wizkid918
i figured you were busy or something, i was kinda hoping it would come about... i am going to be north this weekend anyways. oh well, im sure we can get something else around for some michigan people
Yeah, I've been a little to busy to organize it. Not that many people showed up in the past, but those of us that were there definately had fun didn't we!!!

Originally Posted by Bill Lucas
Michigan? Beach? Not! lol

Those are great shots and a good story to boot. I wish my brother lived close enough for us to take excursions together.
Thanks! Lower Michigan has some of the most geourgous beaches in the US! Everytime I go on a vacation, I also say to my wife... "we have nicer beaches back in Michigan at the dunes." As far as the brother thing goes, I posted here 2 years ago about how me and my brother didn't talk for over 5 years d/t some ***-ape disagreements that were childish and just stupid. I guess you could say that we have been catching up on lost time ever since. He's a great older brother

Originally Posted by Outrun
Looks like fun!! Live everyday like it's your last...
Absolutely - Read Post Above!!!

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
Nice Cory, congrats on getting her out for the first time.

Quick Reply: A Cloudy Day @ Warren Dunes, MI - A Tale of Two Porsches