Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

83 heater hose replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 06:55 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts
Question 83 heater hose replacement

I want to replace my heater hoses, but then read how involved it is. I'm not in the mood to do it now because I don't want to delay installing the engine any more. My question is, will it be possible to replace them once the engine is in, or should I do it now while I have the golden opportunity?

Oh, and how many hours will it take to do it? Anybody time themselves?

1984 911 Carrera Coupe - Guards Red (gone, but not forgotten)
"If you're not living on the edge, you're not living"
Old 05-25-2006, 07:14 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

The early cars have the hose connections to the heater core 'inside' the car so it really doesnt matter if you do them now or later. If I had the engine out I would do them now or wait until you have two days to gut ther dashboard to access the core.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:43 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=StoogeMoe]I want to replace my heater hoses, but then read how involved it is. I'm not in the mood to do it now because I don't want to delay installing the engine any more. My question is, will it be possible to replace them once the engine is in, or should I do it now while I have the golden opportunity?

Oh, and how many hours will it take to do it? Anybody time themselves?

Put the engine in, if you so desire. It would be easier to make those hose connections to the the back of the heater valve and set that up prior to installing engine, butt, your not gonna save THAT much work anyway.

I've done my '83 heater core and hoses with engine in place. Yep, its fun, butt, not an unbearable thing. Just time consuming. No big deal.

Time? Nah!!........I WON'T go there. Everyone has different levels of experience, tool availability and such. First time on ANY job, will take much longer than the next time, and such anyway. All I'll say is plan on several hours.

Good luck. Do a search regarding the heater core/dash removal, and those hoses, IF, you haven't already. Yep, its a fun one!

Old 05-26-2006, 10:53 AM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Granite, I read your thread on the subject from a long time ago. Then I looked up the Clark's Garage description. It's more work than I want to do right now.

So that's good to know I can put this off. Maybe in about six months or a year I'll do the hoses.

So no estimates eh? Well it certainly isn't 1/2 hour and it certainly isn't 40 hours. I'm thinking 2 hours of dash removal which includes a fair amount of swearing and cursing. Maybe another 2 hours of figuring out how to actually replace the hoses. Maybe an hour of ew, I can fix that while I'm in here. And then maybe another 2 hours of swearing and cursing figuring out how to put it back together and make everything fit again. So that totals 7 hours of hell just to replace two stinkin hoses. Sound right?

1984 911 Carrera Coupe - Guards Red (gone, but not forgotten)
"If you're not living on the edge, you're not living"
Old 05-26-2006, 11:11 AM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do it now. My car blew those 2 hoses in parking lots about 6 months after I changed all the other hoses. It sucks to be stranded like that.

As far as time, I had other obligations in my day, so it took from about 9-3 one day, and 9-11 the next day. The dash is nothing difficult; it's the console and steering wheel switchgear that gave me trouble. You'll also have to pull the blower fan and perhaps a couple of the AC lines. It's not that fun working in the HVAC system, but it is doable.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:00 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

StoogeMoe. WHEN ya figure your ready to do the core/hose change, than come back BEFORE ya start taking the center console and dashboard out, and ask for any "pointers and gottcha's". There are a few of them, not a real big deal, butt, it helps to be somewhat prepared when dealing with this older plastic. As long as you realize that those hoses/core could "go" at anytime (no way to really know), than go for it. Really "bad signs" to look for on these hoses are swelling, very light surface cracking. Still, ya never really know when they may crap out on ya. Carry a length of hose and tools and duct tape with ya for the time being, and that way if it does crap on ya out on the road, you could have the chance of getting it bypassed from back of head, to the pipe under R/H side of cam tower, or use duct tape, and get ya home at least. Extra water/coolant onboard or whatever, will be of concern with this also. Good luck!

7 hours? Yeah! .............if your lucky! and well experienced with it. Depends on how "detailed" ya get with everything on re-assembly. Lots of little things that should/could/NEED to be taken care of along the way. ****............how **** are we? I'm kinda **** on these detail things..........sometimes. In other words, plan on driving another car for a week or so...........depending on your drive and experience, and available time and such.

Quick Reply: 83 heater hose replacement