Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof slip clutch (Help)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 02:19 PM
944S2IFISH2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question Sunroof slip clutch (Help)?

Could anyone who's adjusted the late model slip clutch ('90 S2) help explain to me how to do it?

I'm just not sure when the break-away is supposed to happen...
With the roof off and the bars run-out about half-way, if I turn the 22mm (IIRC) nut the bars just move. If the bars move, how can the clutch break-free? Which way should I turn it and when should it break free?

I must be missing something here..?? (I've read Clarke's, the FSM, and archives... Just can't figure it out )

TIA!
Old 05-25-2006, 02:43 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've not tried to turn it by hand !

But if you turn it until the arms are fully retracted, they will eventually hit a stop, this is when the clutch kicks in, and if the clutch is not properlly adjusted, this is where you destroy your gears

Clarks-Garage clearly explains how to adjust the clutch, with picture.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:52 PM
944S2IFISH2
Addict
Rennlist Member

I guess the part I don't understand, is that if you are using a "clicker" torque wrench (set to less than 5.5Nm), the wrench should click before the arms move? And if I set it to 6.5Nm the wrench should not click before the arms move? Is that what is supposed to happen?

I realize that you need to check it every 60 deg... I just want to be sure that the way I'm doing it is right.
Thanks!

BTW: I am VERY familiar with how to trash the gears! ;-)
Old 05-25-2006, 04:14 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

I'm not sure, because I have not actually done it with a torque wrench, but the way I understand it is that you use the torque wrench not on the 22mm bolt but on the two locking smaller bolts. You slack the first one, torque the inner one to 5.5Nm and use the outer one to lock it in place.

Then if you lower the arms to their lowest position and then try to turn clockwise with the 22mm socket, nothing should happen, the clutch should just slip.

Please someone confirm this because I'm not 100% sure.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:27 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,329 Posts

Originally Posted by Sysgen
I'm not sure, because I have not actually done it with a torque wrench, but the way I understand it is that you use the torque wrench not on the 22mm bolt but on the two locking smaller bolts. You slack the first one, torque the inner one to 5.5Nm and use the outer one to lock it in place.

Then if you lower the arms to their lowest position and then try to turn clockwise with the 22mm socket, nothing should happen, the clutch should just slip.

Please someone confirm this because I'm not 100% sure.
I was trying to figure this out tonight. It appears to work as you say. When it hits the stop point it just clicks. It appears to be a 21mm.

I am finding mine works fine in the down and unlock direction without any problems it just will not go in the up direction. No motor noise no nothing.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:20 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Then I suspect the switch between the visors, one small screw to remove and you'll see a small microswitch, depress that switch and try the roof.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:32 AM
Kyle Donley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never used a torque wrench to adjust the clutch on the sunroof. I just loosened it untill it would not move the arms, then tightened it up just enough untill it would operate the sunroof through it's entire range of movement. In my way of thinking this is the setting it at the loosest it can be and still operate correctly, therefore I have less of a chance of stripping the gears. Not that they are that expensive it's just a pain to deal with.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:04 AM
formerGMguy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Donley
I've never used a torque wrench to adjust the clutch on the sunroof. I just loosened it untill it would not move the arms, then tightened it up just enough untill it would operate the sunroof through it's entire range of movement. In my way of thinking this is the setting it at the loosest it can be and still operate correctly, therefore I have less of a chance of stripping the gears. Not that they are that expensive it's just a pain to deal with.
Thats exactly what I did too. It worked great.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:22 PM
944S2IFISH2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kyle,
That is a GREAT idea! Makes total sense! Thanks for the info, I'll do that this weekend.

Quick Reply: Sunroof slip clutch (Help)?