Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broadfoot Brake backing plates..need to remove dust cover?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 10:39 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Broadfoot Brake backing plates..need to remove dust cover?

Just curious.. i just won a set of these on eBay, new used....not through Broadfoot however. I wasnt really expecting to win but luck would have it i did by .60 cents. Anyway do these require removal of the dust shields, or can i keep the dustshields on? )i do run the turbo calipers which have the big slots on the dust covers.

Also has anyone routed the ducting with stock n/a front end without removing the foglights? I am working on getting a euro bumper right now...but really im not sure if ill be able to get it, but that would be the ideal setup like XSBoost's car and the custom made brake ducts.

Maybe i can figure out some kind of funky routing when i get the 931 vented nose panel back on...
Old 05-23-2006, 10:49 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Jon,

I just installed those backing plates on my car. I don't see any way you could retain the dust shields with those on. Even if you cut the dust shield to make room for the flange, I think the backing plate would hit the rotor. Here's a pic of mine, you can see how close the backing plate is to the rotor, probably only 2mm. I'm not sure there's enough clearance for the hub either.

If anyone has fit both, I'd be interested to see it as well. It would be nice to have the heat shielding effect for the ball joints and tie rod boots.
Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2006, 11:56 PM
kwdrus
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shiners, working on it this weekend, but considering using CF.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:05 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Jim, i was thinking of cutting the dustshield to fit, but seeing the picture i see there is not much room for clearance. Would it be possible to mount the backing plate, then dustshield on top of that? I figure the shield could be cut and trimmed (and maybe even bent) to not touch the rotor.

I would mostly like to retain the dust shield because my car is primarily a street car and i would like to avoid gravel, rocks and whatnot from getting kicked up and getting caught in the rotor / caliper.

Maybe these things were not the wisest decision for my car..but really i was not expecting to win the auction to be honest with you!
Old 05-24-2006, 08:57 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Hey Jim, i was thinking of cutting the dustshield to fit, but seeing the picture i see there is not much room for clearance. Would it be possible to mount the backing plate, then dustshield on top of that? I figure the shield could be cut and trimmed (and maybe even bent) to not touch the rotor.

I would mostly like to retain the dust shield because my car is primarily a street car and i would like to avoid gravel, rocks and whatnot from getting kicked up and getting caught in the rotor / caliper.

Maybe these things were not the wisest decision for my car..but really i was not expecting to win the auction to be honest with you!
The distance between the backing plate and the hub is about the same as the distance between the backing plate and the rotor. I could be wrong, but I don't see how you could sandwich them both together and not rub. You could always try it to see, it only takes a few minutes to remove the calipers/rotors/and hubs. Post back if you try it, I'm curious as well.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:38 AM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't had the front or rear dust shields on for a dozen years with no ill effects.

Quick Reply: Broadfoot Brake backing plates..need to remove dust cover?