Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RESOLVED!!!: Car ran hot today for the first time...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 04:22 PM
MJDore
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
No thermo? wtf? How long did it take your car to warm up when first started? You sure about these guys? Has he ever seen a 944 before?
Car seemed to warm normally. I'm always cautious of the gauges, especially with a car that is new to me. I've noticed some liquid in the garage floor but it never had an odor and I figured it was condensation from the A/C. Turns out it was from the radiator.

The only thing I can go by with Porsche mechanics is how long they've been in business and what I hear, and these guys have been around a LONG time...and they only work on European cars. As I mentioned before, there were probably 15 different types of Porsches in the parking lot so I figure they're okay. I won't know until I try, I guess.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:13 PM
MJDore
Instructor

Just wanted to post a resolution to my overheating issue. Turns out my radiator had a slow leak that eventually lost enough coolant to cause the overheating. Also, as mentioned above, the car had no thermostat in it. Those two issues resolved, she's running like a champ. I was in rush hour this AM with the A/C on and the temp needle never got above the halfway point.

Also, heads tested out fine.

I appreciate all the help and cross-referencing. I felt obligated to join Rennlist as a result. I know it doesn't line the pockets of the posters who helped me out but it's an indirect way of giving back. Now, for the fun stuff, I'll have some pics posted this weekend!!!
Old 05-25-2006, 01:54 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

MJ

For the record, you have one cylinder head. I did not want you to continue with this misconception. Welcome to 944 ownership. These are wonderful cars. Frustrating at times, but still loads of fun to drive.

Many people remove the t-stats from american V-8s with the mistaken notion that it will help the car run cooler and think this applies to all cars. The 944 water pump is designed so that the water recirculates in the engine block during warm up and then the thermostat closes the recirculation port in the pump when the coolant reachs 80 degrees C or so (depends on the t-stat rating). Running without the thermostat will not allow the hot water to fully circulate through the radiator and will actually cause it to run hotter than it is supposed to.

Glad you got it repaired and that no permanent damage was done.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:04 PM
MJDore
Instructor

Thanks for the clarification, cruise. On top of being a noob to Porsche I'm also what I call a 'routine maintenance only' mechanic at best.

I look forward to driving this car everyday. Being without her for a couple days while she was being repaired and I was out of town gave me some serious withdrawals....
Old 05-25-2006, 07:58 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PHP Code:
I appreciate all the help and cross-referencingI felt obligated to join Rennlist as a resultI know it doesn't line the pockets of the posters who helped me out but it's an indirect way of giving back
That is EXACTLY the attitude more users on the site should adopt!

Those damn leaky rads..

Quick Reply: RESOLVED!!!: Car ran hot today for the first time...