Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006 | 08:58 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Default Starter problems

So, I'm leaving work the other day and go to start my 968 and the starter motor won't shut off even after turning the key off. To make a long story short, I managed to get the car home buy jump starting it in 2nd gear.

I have the starter off of the car and need to know if there is a way to test the motor? My thinking is that it could be one of two problems, an issue with the starter itself or a problem with the ignition wiring.
Old 05-15-2006 | 09:58 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

If it didn't shut off, check to see if the teeth on the starter are damaged.

I had may starter engage when the small wire shorted against the post.
Old 05-15-2006 | 10:22 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Starter teeth are fine.

I did a little test. When I ground the starter and apply +12V to the large positive lead nothing happens. When I apply +12V to the small positive terminal, the starter moves forward and turns slowely. If I then put the +12V on the large positive lead and jump to the small lead, it moves forward and spins like a demon. I'm guessing this is what is supposed to happen and that the large positive lead is always hot and the small terminal is the "kick starter".

If all is well with the starter as noted above, then I'm guessing that I have a short to the small positive lead and that if I get under the car with a meter that I'll get a positive voltage even without turning the ignition on. Unfortunately, the car is outside, it's dark, and it's raining so it will have to wait. What do you think?

Quick Reply: Starter problems