Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 UPHOLSTERY KIT for front SEATS

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 12:08 PM
bigal13
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 UPHOLSTERY KIT for front SEATS

hi

i am thinking on getting this seat upholstery kit for my 944

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

has anyone here purchased from this seller and can you recommend there upholstery kits

thanks Alan
Old 05-14-2006, 08:13 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bigal13
hi

i am thinking on getting this seat upholstery kit for my 944

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

has anyone here purchased from this seller and can you recommend there upholstery kits

thanks Alan
Have you looked into the Rennbay upholstery kits? Travis who owns Rennbay is a site sponsor and has a great rep for after sales support.

http://www.rennbay.com/upholstery-kits-c-33.html
Old 05-15-2006, 04:05 AM
bigal13
Instructor

hi

they look alright and and come recommended think i will go for them, how long is the waiting time for these, can someone upload some pictures of a before and after fitting these covers

thanks Alan
Old 05-15-2006, 09:36 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The Rennbay seat cover kits have serious fitment issues. At least the ones I bought did. They were very nice and looked good and all, but fit like crap. Eventually gave up and blew $1,200 on new seats. The problem might've been my particular seats, it might've been just those particular covers, who knows? Nothing whatsoever against Travis, but just sharing my personal experience. YMMV. Just be careful going "cheap". More often than not, you get what you pay for - I did in that instance and wouldn't buy them again.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:24 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeff,
You could have just returned them if you had a problem.
Why did you sell the "obviously" faulty set of seat covers to a fellow rennlister a few weeks back?

Did you sell them under false pretences knowing they were bad or do you think you just didn't have the time to install them correctly yourself and you opted to buy new seats and sell the covers?

You have to make up your mind on this one if you intend to post in every seat cover thread from now until the end of time. Whichever one it was is fine with me. I just have a thing about seeing conflicting information from the same source. It gets on my nerves.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:03 PM
dme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Travis,
Any luck getting material for the Tan seat covers yet? What is it about tan seat covers? Nobody has a kit for them.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:16 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen Travis's (Rennbay) covers on Pete944 (x-moderator of 944 board) and I honestly couldn't tell they were seat covers. Had me fooled and I consider myself to be pretty picky!!!

CG
Old 05-15-2006, 09:21 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

No issues at all with Rennbay seat covers in my experience (early model sport seats). Not bashing anyone elses experience here, but if you take your time and follow the instructions, you should be very happy. If you *really* get into trouble or are unhappy with the results after your are done, you can get a professional to refit them for a few $'s and I am almost 100% positive you will get the results you are looking for.

Regards,
Old 05-15-2006, 10:41 PM
mnypit944
Instructor

I think that is the same set I bought off ebay. They fit ok,not great, but after all installed they did not look bad for the price. I dont think I paid quite that much though.

If the car was worth more I might have gone with some better leather set. But lets face it, the 83 is only worth about $3k, why spend 1/3 that on seats?
Old 05-16-2006, 04:23 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

*sigh* This has obviously been taken out of context, so please let me clarify. . .

Originally Posted by Travis - sflraver
Jeff,
You could have just returned them if you had a problem.
Why did you sell the "obviously" faulty set of seat covers to a fellow rennlister a few weeks back?
You're right, I probably could have. It honestly wasn't worth the trouble and honestly I think I did you a favor by not pestering you or being a pain in the *** about it. I just took my lumps and went another route and ended up with some really kick-*** RSA seats. C'est la vie.

As far as my decision to sell the covers, I just looked at it as, "well, if the covers I bought end up working well for someone else, then fine - all's well that ends well." It just wasn't meant to be in my case. I think the guy that bought the covers is pretty happy with them, so I'm glad it all worked out. FWIW I left the offer open to him so that if he has a problem, I'll gladly refund his money, but the feedback I've received thus far is that he's satisfied with them.

The implication that I somehow misrepresented the covers is a low blow - I didn't. If you care to check my "for sale" thread, you'll see that I was up front about the condition and the fact I'd decided to go another route with my seats. I in no way bashed you or ever claimed the seat covers were defective - just that they didn't particularly work for my application. Is that really so bad? I could post the content of the PM correspondence with the seller in which he indicates he's satisfied with the covers, but we're prohibited from doing so per the Rennlist Charter. That's pretty much the jist though - he's happy with 'em, they'll probably work out for him and that's good enough for me. Should be for you too.

Did you sell them under false pretences knowing they were bad or do you think you just didn't have the time to install them correctly yourself and you opted to buy new seats and sell the covers?
Like I just said, if you care to look at my post offering the seat covers for sale a couple weeks back, you'll note that I was more than forthright about the condition. As I also said above, I make no conclusion as to whether the issue was with the seat covers or perhaps something to do with the particular seats I was installing them on. There's just no way to tell. I offered (and still do) a 100% warranty - if he decides they're not for him, I'll refund his money in full - no runaround and no questions asked (I've got another local Rennlister who asked for 'em that I'll give them to for free if that happens). If anyone's standing behind what they sell here, it's me.

I never said the seat covers were faulty or defective. For all I know they weren't. As I stated before, they had some pretty significant fitment issues. That's all. Might've been my particular seats/pads, might've been the covers, might have been combination of the two. Who really cares? Point is they didn't work for me, that's life and no harm no foul. If you really want, I think I have some photos of the attempted installation that I could share with you to help figure out what the problem was I had with them in order to possibly improve the product. Let me know if you're interested. I'm really not being the "bad guy" here, much as you try to portray it that way. I'm not out to bash anyone or taint their reputation - all I'm saying is I had issues with the covers, which I did. I'll even work with you to try to make 'em better if that's what it takes.

You have to make up your mind on this one if you intend to post in every seat cover thread from now until the end of time. Whichever one it was is fine with me. I just have a thing about seeing conflicting information from the same source. It gets on my nerves.
I simply feel obligated to relay my experience on here. If 10 people say "they're great" and one person says "I had problems with them", I think that's still a good endorsement overall. Why not let people draw their OWN conclusions instead of trying to fabricate ones for them? I'm sure bigal13 appreciates the openness and honesty and is a big boy and can make up his own mind for himself. Personally I hope he DOES buy from you (you're a good guy overall and a sponsor here) and that it works out for him without issue. All I'm saying is there IS that chance that he might up being less-than-thrilled with the results. Isn't that ALWAYS the case? Have I really been unfair here?

Is that clear enough?

Cripes. This is like high school. If you really don't want me to relay my experiences with the covers then I won't but I really don't see who that benefits. . . People should simply be aware of POTENTIAL problems before they buy and have a plan "B" in case it doesn't work out. I'm doing you a favor by telling people this so you don't get 50 people hounding you saying "hey, the covers don't fit right".

Dead issue now. Can we let this drop? Like I said, all is well that ends well. I have no issue with Rennbay or you, just I wouldn't PERSONALLY be in a huge hurry to buy those covers again, knowing that they (for whatever reason) didn't work for me on the first go-around.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:29 AM
97xray
Burning Brakes

Cripes. This is like high school.
If this is like high school, where are the chicks with perky *****?!
(sorry guys, just trying to lighten it up... it's fun here at rennlist, remember?)
Old 05-16-2006, 09:38 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by 97xray

Locked up in OT...
Old 05-16-2006, 09:42 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Originally Posted by 97xray
(sorry guys, just trying to lighten it up... it's fun here at rennlist, remember?)

What movie was that from, ". . . I looooooove high school girls - we keep gettin' older, they just stay the same age. . . "
Old 05-16-2006, 09:53 AM
97xray
Burning Brakes

Oh-no, what have I done...

My wife can't see this, right???
Old 05-16-2006, 09:56 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile

What movie was that from, ". . . I looooooove high school girls - we keep gettin' older, they just stay the same age. . . "

Dazed and Confused.

Quick Reply: 944 UPHOLSTERY KIT for front SEATS