Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

American Vs German

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 03:55 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Geo
I'm sorry, but those antics really were stupid. You're one mistake away from killing one or more people (the parking lot is right next to a rather active road).
Geo get over yourself. One step from killing people?

Nice video, it's always nice to rip off some rubber every now and then.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:33 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by MPD47
Geo get over yourself. One step from killing people?
Really? Did you not really watch the video?

Watch the first video again. There is a street going by the parking lot with cars going by. There is a break in the barrier (apparently an entrance to the parking lot?) where the drivers are being stupid.

One step away from killing people? Yes, potentially. Blow a tire, lose the power steering suddenly, under estimate traction at the wrong time, any of a number of things can go wrong and one of those cars could head out onto that street and head-on into some innocent bastard who just wanted to get home to his/her family. So don't tell me to get over myself. And if you don't think something could go wrong, and/or the scenario I described couldn't happen you aren't too smart. I've been to many an autocross and NONE have been next to an active road like that. No race track I've ever been too has been that close to an active road. Bad things can happen and at unopportune times. I'm sure the dumbass who ran himself over with the BMW doing showoff burnouts didn't think anything bad would happen either. The point is, things can and do go wrong.

This is NO better than street racers who say they only do it safely. It doesn't make it any better because someone was driving a Porsche and enjoying it the way they like. And just because something didn't go wrong doesn't make it OK.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:45 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

I did watch it, and I do AutoX often, and I've been at events next to active road ways and I've seen people crash on the street, at SCCA events, on the track, etc, blah blah blah. You're probably more likely to die on your morning commute does that make me think you're a bad person? Hardly, but you're aparently to stuck up to realize how harmless burning a bit of rubber is.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:06 AM
Geo
Race Director

Yeah, apparently....
Old 05-16-2006, 01:27 AM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

I've done my fair share of that.. fun stuff for a few circles.

When you don't have control of the car is when you have problems get a few auto-x's under your belt and you'll be good. I think i've spun out at an auto-x event as many times as i've done donuts.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:26 AM
2bridges
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geo - I must agree with a good portion of what you say.

If you guys think there is no risk with a couple idiots doing syncronized donuts wile spectators stand around watching, your fate is in your own hands.

You tell me when a couple idiots bounce off each other and run over somebody watching that I'm uptight. If your lucky you'll only get to watch one of your buddys get run over.

Now just throw a case of beer in the mix and you guys can really have"fun"
Either you are over emphasizing to attempt to offest GEOs "safety heavy" posts or you guys really are a bunch of idiots
Old 05-16-2006, 02:30 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You know none of the donut burnouts I have ever done has ever exceeded 10 miles per hour and though I would never say its "safe" to do when there are normal traffic right next to you, I believe the speed achieved doing a burnout is lower than an autocross. When doing a donut, my tires don't hook up so the speed never gets very high (even though the engine is close to rev limiter a good part of the time) before I let off.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:51 PM
Iceman
Track Day

Originally Posted by Geo
Really? Did you not really watch the video?

Watch the first video again. There is a street going by the parking lot with cars going by. There is a break in the barrier (apparently an entrance to the parking lot?) where the drivers are being stupid.

One step away from killing people? Yes, potentially. Blow a tire, lose the power steering suddenly, under estimate traction at the wrong time, any of a number of things can go wrong and one of those cars could head out onto that street and head-on into some innocent bastard who just wanted to get home to his/her family. So don't tell me to get over myself. And if you don't think something could go wrong, and/or the scenario I described couldn't happen you aren't too smart. I've been to many an autocross and NONE have been next to an active road like that. No race track I've ever been too has been that close to an active road. Bad things can happen and at unopportune times. I'm sure the dumbass who ran himself over with the BMW doing showoff burnouts didn't think anything bad would happen either. The point is, things can and do go wrong.

This is NO better than street racers who say they only do it safely. It doesn't make it any better because someone was driving a Porsche and enjoying it the way they like. And just because something didn't go wrong doesn't make it OK.
Excuse me, but what video was you looking at. You should clean your glasses. That is only one Entrance for that parking lot and it was closed. That is 200 feed behind the camera. And it was closed by other cars. It is more likely that you are not good of controlling car like that you self. If you could control a car like that with your throttle you would not writing things like that you wrote.

To do burnout like that is not just put the petal to the metal and hope for best. It is lot of practise and lot of tyres later you can maybe get the control. That Porsche have already finish 6 rear tyre this year.

You have likely never had an rwd car with LSD and before you have that you can not teethes everybody how it is dun.

You can find lot of things that can go wrong in your life. All of the cars are on new tire and they are all in perfect condition. And if you know how it is dun you would know that they can stop very quickly. If you did not nosiest but all driver stay in the cars, so they did not drove over them self. But you just don’t get it

Next time you see video like that and you could not find anything good to write about it.
Please do not write anything. You are not the right person to tell people how to drive there cars.

So please get over your self and let people that like burning rubber and do stupid thing like that, alone. OK.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:12 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cars are cars.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:18 PM
mnypit944
Instructor

Originally Posted by Swagger93
Cars are cars.

Not to bash you or anything but it struck me as Funny that you would say that and drive a Porsche and a Saab. If you really beleived that you would be driving a Hyundai and a Kia. LOL..
Old 05-16-2006, 09:14 PM
Geo
Race Director

Between that parking lot and the road there is no armco and it's a lot less than 200'.

As for the rest of your mad skillz (yo!), you may be the next Ayrton Senna for all I know. Senna also crashed from time to time. In fact, I pointed out how mechanical failures could have made that whole episode become fatal. Well, a mechanical failure cost Ayrton Senna his life and I think he had more mad skillz (yo!) than you.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:43 PM
namespace
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Geo
Between that parking lot and the road there is no armco and it's a lot less than 200'.

As for the rest of your mad skillz (yo!), you may be the next Ayrton Senna for all I know. Senna also crashed from time to time. In fact, I pointed out how mechanical failures could have made that whole episode become fatal. Well, a mechanical failure cost Ayrton Senna his life and I think he had more mad skillz (yo!) than you.
WTG Geo(yo!)

your posts have hit the nail on the head, IMO

testosterone fuelled late night cruisers ripping it up in an empty carpark, cannot be compared to an organised and supervised track event, where you have officials, maybe paramedics and also some people with a helluva lot more experience than some kids think they do.

life is about learning, respect and common sense, some people get it, some just cant see the forest for the trees (until they hit one).

some of the things I did with cars when I was younger, charged on testosterone, was just plain dumb. Think of the consequences, no matter how remote they seem, I never did back then, but now I look back and wonder how I got here sometimes. There are times and places to do that sort of thing.

the 'It wont happen to me' 'I know what I am doing' syndrome is just plain narrow mindedness, by all means, go burn rubber, but do it in a controlled and supervised environment, dont risk others at the expense of you blowing off some steam or proving your abilities to like minded peers.

F2 and iceland - do some DE, organise an event, use your 'skillz' in a productive way, get that Icelandic Car Culture together and have some fun and learn from others
Old 05-17-2006, 06:26 AM
F2 Iceland
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by namespace
WTG Geo(yo!)

your posts have hit the nail on the head, IMO

testosterone fuelled late night cruisers ripping it up in an empty carpark, cannot be compared to an organised and supervised track event, where you have officials, maybe paramedics and also some people with a helluva lot more experience than some kids think they do.

life is about learning, respect and common sense, some people get it, some just cant see the forest for the trees (until they hit one).

some of the things I did with cars when I was younger, charged on testosterone, was just plain dumb. Think of the consequences, no matter how remote they seem, I never did back then, but now I look back and wonder how I got here sometimes. There are times and places to do that sort of thing.

the 'It wont happen to me' 'I know what I am doing' syndrome is just plain narrow mindedness, by all means, go burn rubber, but do it in a controlled and supervised environment, dont risk others at the expense of you blowing off some steam or proving your abilities to like minded peers.

F2 and iceland - do some DE, organise an event, use your 'skillz' in a productive way, get that Icelandic Car Culture together and have some fun and learn from others
Wow.... now i'm just a kid that doesn't know how to drive!

U just don't orginize a auto x on the next parking lot here

I'm always trying to be a better driver and now i post a video of some donuts and suddenly i'm just some kid who doesn't know how to drive and almost killed 50 people i a bus full of old people had got into that parking lot!!!!

i'm not a kid that was 17 and thinked... i wanna porsche.....

i've been around porsche since i was a little boy!
in rallycross and rally that my uncle had.. i live with my uncle!

i got my first porsche when i was 15.. 924 turbo!

Now i have 9 porsches but hell...

I can't drive i'm the kid who's trying to kill everyone with my donuts.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:49 AM
Royal Tiger
Drifting

I think what Geo is trying to get across is some things weren't done in the absolute safeist manner, and can be improved next time. No one is trying to tell you WHAT to do with your car, but everyone is entitled to thier opinion. As someone who has all to often seen people do stupid things in an automobile, and then had the fun job of telling next of kin, you CAN always re-evaluate and improve the safety aspect. That's all.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:15 AM
namespace
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Tigershark
I think what Geo is trying to get across is some things weren't done in the absolute safeist manner, and can be improved next time. No one is trying to tell you WHAT to do with your car, but everyone is entitled to thier opinion. As someone who has all to often seen people do stupid things in an automobile, and then had the fun job of telling next of kin, you CAN always re-evaluate and improve the safety aspect. That's all.
exactly

F2 - you have a nice car, just use it responsibly and safely, I wasnt beating up on you, neither was Geo, we were just advising exactly what Tigershark has stated, my wife is a nurse and if you like, she can explain to you just what happens when cars meet humans in not so friendly circumstances, speed or no speed, cars always win.

Now lets all shake hands and be happy and proud Porsche owners

Quick Reply: American Vs German