Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

American Vs German

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 08:38 PM
F2 Iceland
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock
No no no, you misundertand a Sir Rock.

He is pained by the potential damaged to the transmission. An expert of 3 blown trannys myself, I get chills down my spine everytime I see a 944 burning rubber. I never said it wasnt awesome....

have u ever broken an lsd gearbox....

i've broken 2 origninal gearboxes.. one 924 and one 944!!!!

There u have a 170 hp 944 with a gearbox from a 220 hp car!!!!

The turbo cars have been modified up to 400 hp without a problem!!!

The Turbo lsd box is really strong!!!

Am i the only one that has ever maded some smoke from the rear tires on a 944
Old 05-14-2006, 09:00 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nope,
I'll admit I have made furious clouds of smoke from tires on my 951. But I felt stupid afterward... Hell, You can even make clouds of tire smoke from nearly any pickup truck.

but comon man spinning donuts in a parking lot is for 16 year old kids that don't have the good sense God gave a rock. Not even a measure of performance or competition, just plain stupid.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:02 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Most broken gearboxes are from improper use for whatever application of any kind of racing(driver fault) and not from burning out or launching cars. Most people have no clue how to do a proper burnout without damaging their clutch and gearbox. I have done lots of burnouts all the way through second gear with n/a and turbos alike. Never broken anything. WHEN YOU ARE SPINNING TIRE, YOU ARE PUTTING LESS WEAR ON THE TRANSMISSION because kinetic friction is less than static friction so there IS LESS LOAD ON THE TRANSMISSION WHILE THE TIRES ARE SPINNING. How you break the transmissions is by hooking up and tracking while launching. Also, its how you get the tires spinning that breaks the drivetrain and there is a right way to do it. The engine has a rev limiter so its not going to hurt the engine anymore than redlining on any other track. Its amazing how myth is propagated.

Stupidity is in the eye of the beholder. My wife thinks a grown man driving a car around a track burning up race gas and wearing everything from tires to drivetrain is absolutely stupid. To her, its as useless as burning money to go around and around while still go nowhere. Logically speaking, a bunch of grown man trying to throw a ball through a hoop is stupid. What is the purpose in that? I guess that goes with chasing a ball a few hundered yards into a little hole after you hit it with a club. Heck, all of sports is stupid according to most women. If you don't like it, who cares? You are not the one fixing his car or paying for his tires/gas. Just don't tell him what he should like as long as he is not hurting himeself or someone else.

Last edited by Legoland951; 05-14-2006 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:08 PM
F2 Iceland
Pro

Originally Posted by 2bridges
nope,
I'll admit I have made furious clouds of smoke from tires on my 951. But I felt stupid afterward... Hell, You can even make clouds of tire smoke from nearly any pickup truck.

but comon man spinning donuts in a parking lot is for 16 year old kids that don't have the good sense God gave a rock. Not even a measure of performance or competition, just plain stupid.
944's ain't cars for old people!!!

U must understand... There are no tracks in iceland....

The speedlimit is 90km/h

I can track the car on the streets if thats better....

This is a little bit safer
Old 05-14-2006, 09:21 PM
2bridges
Drifting

MR legoland - I laughed when reading your reply. My wife has some interesting thoughs on stupidity as well.
I suppose a good old fashioned street race is more dangerous, but damn at least there is a point.

I can olny say I don't get it.

On onother note -
It seems odd to me to there are mustangs and camaros in Iceland...
Old 05-14-2006, 09:28 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Legoland951
Most people have no clue how to do a proper burnout without damaging their clutch and gearbox. I have done lots of burnouts all the way through second gear with n/a and turbos alike. Never broken anything. WHEN YOU ARE SPINNING TIRE, YOU ARE PUTTING LESS WEAR ON THE TRANSMISSION because kinetic friction is less than static friction so there IS LESS LOAD ON THE TRANSMISSION WHILE THE TIRES ARE SPINNING. How you break the transmissions is by hooking up and tracking while launching. Also, its how you get the tires spinning that breaks the drivetrain and there is a right way to do it. The engine has a rev limiter so its not going to hurt the engine anymore than redlining on any other track. Its amazing how myth is propagated.
While you might be right, look at the failure rate for stressed 944 transaxles versus, say, a Tremec gearbox (Mustang and other V8 applications). I don't think there's a phenomenon where 944 drivers can't successfully burnout, yet many drivers of Camaros/Mustangs/any other beefy V8 cars know how. That's what leads me to think a burnout is abusing the transaxle.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:28 PM
F2 Iceland
Pro

Originally Posted by 2bridges
MR legoland - I laughed when reading your reply. My wife has some interesting thoughs on stupidity as well.
I suppose a good old fashioned street race is more dangerous, but damn at least there is a point.

I can olny say I don't get it.

On onother note -
It seems odd to me to there are mustangs and camaros in Iceland...

why is that weird... it's called iceland but i can't see the ice!!!

There are so many camaros.. mustangs.. transam.. corvette's!!!

One Carrera gt.... about 300 porsche's

many ///M bmw cars and so on!!!!

There's a big culture for cars here!!!!

U can't see the point in this donut thingy!!! but i can!

a bunch of american cars burning rubber and they only can burn rubber.. they can't easily drift big circles.....

Whats fun about a streetrace in a 170 hp porsche.... absoluty nothing... i love my porsche and all that but when a civic vti overtakes u easily.. it's no fun any more!!!!

That's why i'm waiting for my new 2.8 turbo motor!!!
Old 05-14-2006, 09:39 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Car culture, but no tracks or parking lot type solo events? That is too bad. I have had some very memorable (legal) good times running solo events... and an NA is a great car to run.

In fact if my new cam and lifters arive in time I will be running a solo in two weeks... I can hardly wait!
Old 05-14-2006, 10:14 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I'll buy that you have no tracks. But if you want to do something in a parking lot that is organized and safe, get together with some other folks from the car culture and start an autocross group.

I'm sorry, but those antics really were stupid. You're one mistake away from killing one or more people (the parking lot is right next to a rather active road).
Old 05-15-2006, 12:23 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Well yellowline, I think comparing 20 year old mustangs and 20 year old 944s, I tend to say the t5 transmissions used in camaro and mustangs fail just as much if not more than the 944s. In fact, most don't survive due to their higher torque and have a common problems with stripped 2nd gear synchros and popping out of gear problems. In fact, it was more difficult to find a working 5 speed t5 transmission than a bad one back when we used to build them more than 10 years ago so I would say mustangs and camaros gearbox have a higher failure rate than the 944. Its just ours have problems with R&P and not as much shifting forks or synchros. The added torque of the v8 cars make it easier for the tire to break loose initially, minimizing "hooking up" the tires and thus less likely to break the R&P. As to the camaro/mustang owners' ability to shift properly from 1st to second, well, my belief is misshifting in a v8 carries more consequences than in a 944. In my 85 vette 4+3 manual trans., you have to try to NOT spin the tires even in a very mild launch. In a 944, you definitely have to mean it to spin the tires or to keep it going whereas the american v8s, its hard to keep the tire from spinning once you get them lit up. Therefore, I believe you are correct in that there is somewhat of "a phenomenon where 944 drivers can't successfully burnout, yet many drivers of Camaros/Mustangs/any other beefy V8 cars know how".
Old 05-15-2006, 12:25 AM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by F2 Iceland
There is no TRACK! There is no TRACK! There is no TRACK! There is no TRACK!

This is done in a closed parking lot!

My cars would go threw every inspection!!!!

THERE'S NO CRAP ABOUT MY CARS... If something breaks... i fix it!!!!

I've posted so many videos here..... Why are people crying about it now!!!!
F2, don't listen to the critics. It's your car, and if that's what you want to do, and it brings you joy, who's got any right at all the criticize?

However, I could easily see your skills and your car being very well used on an auto cross circuit.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:31 AM
meewosh
Intermediate

Wow, one night and so many posts...

I killed one tranny too, but it was '83 one and my car is 87 - some say that newer are stronger - now Im drivin with S2 transmission, car is a little bit "slower" but probably that one will break too. Right now I hear whining over 60mph at the back only with foot in floor so it's tranny going bad... :-(

BTW. When doing this clips it was very slippy there so the cars didn't hurt as well as tires On dry tarmac it's not so easy to do things like that with 2.5 N/A

Last edited by meewosh; 05-15-2006 at 06:14 AM.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:23 AM
Funn944
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I don't get it !! can you keep it on a track without sliding into somebody else ?
Old 05-15-2006, 12:07 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

You know, last time I checked, autocrosses are done in parking lots just like this one....
Old 05-15-2006, 03:37 PM
F2 Iceland
Pro

Originally Posted by Funn944
Personally, I don't get it !! can you keep it on a track without sliding into somebody else ?
u're joking right...............

Quick Reply: American Vs German