Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

good deal??

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 10:41 AM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default good deal??

Hi,
im not sure if this is a good deal or not, from what Ive seen it around average, but I'd rather hear it from real people insted of kbb.
im looking at purchasing a 1989 2.7 944 with 83,000 miles, its $4000 but needs:
a new motor mount :$335
new control arm/ ball joint: $850
its not a requirement, but it needs a new sound system. (400-600)
and a few minor fuses and such.
the total will be around $5200 (5600 with audio)
he wont go any lower, and other than items mentioned above, its in great mechanical and cosmetic shape.
Buy it or Walk?
pics:

Thanks for the help
Old 05-13-2006, 10:51 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

It sounds and looks like a decent deal. If you work on your own cars you can cut those repairs down significantly with a ball joint kit from Rennbay ($150) and the good motor mounts will run you about $110/ea. The more work you can do yourself will defray the higher cost of upkeep of the 944. I've always loved that color with the linen interior. Test out that clutch real well, that can be one of the backbreakers if it's at the end of it's life. I say go for it!
Old 05-13-2006, 02:15 PM
mnypit944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sound like a good deal. Has regular maintanance been done, namely the timing belt. Should be done every 30k, and is relatively expensive if you have to pay someone. Run a CARFAX. Seems like low mileage, and the odometers are known to break on these cars. CARFAX will reveal this. TIres? Interior? Brakes? Any leaks?

I paid $3000 for my 83 and if I knew what I know now I would have looked for an 88 or 89 or just gone into a turbo. My car was almost excellent needing only seat redone. It had 96k, but the odo has since broken about a week ago. I dont drive it much so not a big deal, but I am looking to fix it right away.

Why did they not replace the fuses?? Seems like a small expense to just leave. Might want to bring your own fuses and replace them yourself before buying. Might reveal a short somewhere or bad electrical components. I would never not replace fuses unless they keep blowing.

Good luck. Make sure if you are wanting more power to read the posts related to this. Almost everyone will tell you to just buy a turbo.

John
Old 05-13-2006, 03:59 PM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

it has been taken very good care of, and all maitenence has been done on time. Carfax says the car checks out and there is nothing wrong with it. I just had a porsche preformance shop do a check on it and they said everything is up to par.
They didnt replace the fuses because they only checked it over, not replaced things. If I decide to purchace it Ill have them do most of the repairs that I cant.
btw. This if my first car and if I like it alot, within the next 5-10 yrs (college/ job permitting) I will step up and get a turbo. But for now I think 160hp and maybe a chip or something will be fine.
thx, ubercooper
Old 05-13-2006, 08:33 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

It sounds decent although as mentioned, there are ways around having to buy a new control arm.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Timing belt and clutch are the important things, everything you listed wrong is marginal with the exception of maybe the motor mount which is still not really that big of a deal to change even.

If the timing belt and clutch both check out, $4000 is an excellent deal. If one or the other check out, then its an alright deal still i think. Figure a shop doing either job for you will run a ~$1k for the timing belt and about $1500-2k for the clutch. The '89 you need to expect to pay a bit of a premium for due to the 2.7L motor.

The balljoint problem i wouldnt worry about..you can get a used control arm for less than $100 if yours is beyond repairable, and balljoint kits will run you under $150 depending what options you pick.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:49 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Sounds decent. I paid $4200 last year for my '86 na, it had a new clutch and nothing else needed (except AC, which I'll do soon)

Only thing I'd add is that hopefully, the blown fuses aren't masking another electrical problem. Fuses go occassionally, but when a several of them go at a time, it might be a symptom. So I'd ditto John's suggestion to spend a few dollars on fuses, replace the blown ones, and drive it a bit (operating various electrical things) to see if they keep blowing.

Quick Reply: good deal??