Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken floor pan

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006 | 10:13 PM
ButtSled
Instructor

Default Broken floor pan

Has anyone else gone through this. Years ago I installed Recaro seats in my 83 944. After many years of my butt landing on the seat, the floor panel under the mounting point at the left rear has broken through the floor panel like a 90 degree tear. Needless to say my seat doesn't behave since one of its mounting points "floats." I used a piece of wood bolted to the floor for many years but now want to attempt a repair. Will pulling the carpet and welding the panels back be strong enough? Is it possible to epoxy or bolt it with some steel braces? Please let me know your thoughts and any experience you might have had with this. Many thanks.

Dean Felton
Houston,TX
Old 05-10-2006 | 10:39 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

All I can say to this is.....every early car I've got, has/had some seat track mounting (in the body) issues. All are in need of, or have been repaired. I've just welded up the tears, and cutout and formed new metal to go into the places where the nutplates have tore out/bent/come loose, using 16 gauge steel and a mig welder, and/or bolts into other installed nutplates. I believe its pretty common with these early cars, and figure thats why Porsche went with a 6 point mount in the laters. You could also try doing a "seat anchor, seat mounting, seat track" search here, as I know its be hashed over before.

Wood, epoxy, anything butt using new metal and welding and primer/painting/finishing, is/will not be a good and/or permanent solution. (I found a door hinge under one PO's ill-fated attempt at a seat mount repair!).

Good luck.
Old 05-11-2006 | 12:18 AM
ButtSled
Instructor

Sixteen gauge steel and welding is what I will do. Can't wait till the undercoating catches fire! Many thanks Granite.

Dean Felton

Quick Reply: Broken floor pan