Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camshaft upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 04:31 PM
Crunky
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft upgrade

Does anyone know where I can find performance cams for the 8v 944? I have only found one source so far, and they only offer one solution. Web Cam Inc. Web Cams

Also does anyone know what the stock grind is on an N/A, an '84 to be specific, I don't know that it makes a difference. I ask because this Web cam seems to be pretty agressive. Has anyone used this cam? What type of performance and economy do you get with it?

I was also wondering about shaving the head in addition to a cam, what would you reccomend? And if I were to shave around .3-.4, what would you suggest I do for timing?
Old 05-09-2006, 04:37 PM
Speed Demon
Instructor

Try LINDSEY RACING

http://www.lindseyracing.com

they have a bunch of stuff
Old 05-09-2006, 04:40 PM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

lindsey seems to only have one for a Turbo
Old 05-09-2006, 04:44 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Stock cam is pretty damn good for an n/a.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:09 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Crunky, where are you located? You should stop by my place sometime to see various 944/51 with various levels of mods. BTW, I have a 951 and a 84 944 with mods.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:12 PM
Crunky
Pro

I am currently living in Queen Creek , but In about another month or 2 I will be moving to Tuscon to go to school. I don't know if that will be better or worse than QC. I will be in a bigger city, but still not very populous, but I wil also be even further than an even bigger city, but hey atleast I'll be closer to Mexico .

Oh and I like your Avatar BTW lol.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:16 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Stock cam is pretty damn good for an n/a.
The stock cam blows goats. It's the power limiter for the NA engine. It has no overlap so common mods that improve VE typically have little effect (such as a header).

For a cam I'd go to Jon Milledge:

http://www.jmengines.com/camshafts.htm
Old 05-09-2006, 08:23 PM
Crunky
Pro

I've considered Jon Milledge cams, but damn they're expensive. Would you recommend anything else while doing the cam, like timing or head work? Or just drop it in and go?

I guess the price isn't that bad, I'm used to working on VWs lol.
Aslo, do you whether it is possible to get adjustable fuel pressure regulators for early cars? Everywhere I look I can only find ones for '86+ cars. Whats the difference?
Old 05-09-2006, 08:56 PM
sillbeer
Pro

just FYI, the Jon Milledge cams are the same price as a brand new OEM camshaft.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:29 PM
Geo
Race Director

Yeah, the Milledge cams are a bit pricey. I'm used to buying quality pairs for twin cams for the same price. But, these are Porsches and Milledge cams are ground from factory billets and maintain the stock base circle so there is no dinking around with additional shimming and stuff.

Regarding the adjustable FPR, I don't know the difference. Didn't even know there was one.

As for recommendations, if you buy a cam from Milledge, I have little doubt he could tell you exactly what will bring results.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:37 PM
Crunky
Pro

mmkay, thanks for the info, I will be in contact with Milledge after this pay period.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:44 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,232 Posts

What is the lift / duration of the stock 944 N/A cam?

How about the turbo?
Old 05-10-2006, 02:01 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
What is the lift / duration of the stock 944 N/A cam?

How about the turbo?
All my manuals are at the shop. I'll try to remember to look that up tomorrow.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:46 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm surprised to hear this considering the n/a cam is considered an upgrade for the turbo cars. Here's what I uncovered for the cam profiles:

As always, cam geometry is a compromise of different characteristics. The 944 cam is reasonably good IMO for the car it was designed for. Does this mean that you can't free some flow by altering it? Absolutely not. Of course you can, but all facts considered it would certainly affect the driveability. Ever driven a hot rod with a real high-lift cam and loping idle? I have. It would absolutely suck for street driving.

I also suspect that getting into custom-ground cams is one of those regions that the return on HP per dollar spent is among the lowest. There's a lot of HP to be gained in the heads of these cars and that can be done for a lot cheaper than custom cams.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:48 AM
Geo
Race Director

As always, cam geometry is a compromise of different characteristics. The 944 cam is reasonably good IMO for the car it was designed for.
I have little doubt it was designed this way for emissions reasons.

Does this mean that you can't free some flow by altering it? Absolutely not. Of course you can, but all facts considered it would certainly affect the driveability. Ever driven a hot rod with a real high-lift cam and loping idle? I have. It would absolutely suck for street driving.
Don't be extreme. Look at the specs for the Milledge cams. They are not extreme. The street cams Milledge sells don't even increase the lift. The street cams are reasonably mild and desgned to idle at 900 rpm.

Why the scary gloom and doom? I would have zero concerns about running the Milledge street cams in a street car. Not all non-stock cams are loping high-lift, high-overlap cams.

I also suspect that getting into custom-ground cams is one of those regions that the return on HP per dollar spent is among the lowest. There's a lot of HP to be gained in the heads of these cars and that can be done for a lot cheaper than custom cams.
While I don't have dyno charts to prove it, I'd wager highly that a cam would be one of the best hp/$ mods and certainly the first mod I would do if wanting to make power with the NA because the stock cam is the limiting factor for power in the stock engine. Just about any car has more power in the heads by porting them, but again, I'd wager strongly that to really get the results from porting the cam should be changed to one with some overlap.

Look, even if the low end of Milledge's published figures are what hold up, $650 for 12 hp is a bargain. Show me any mod for an NA that gives that kind of return. Hell, show me any mod for an NA that will even net half that hp.

Quick Reply: Camshaft upgrade