Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

custom lights 951 (and california vehicle code for headlights)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 04:20 PM
944J
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom lights 951 (and california vehicle code for headlights)

Originally Posted by MPD47
"Dated" sealed beams can provide a substancial amount of light output. I've played with overwatts in the euro driving lights, "upgraded" Iceshark type kits, HID's in the the GT Racing buckets, HID's in the fog light locations, and Hella 90mm Rally H9's in the GT buckets (i'm sure there were probably a few other itinerations somewhere in there, but I cant recall). It removes a marginal amount of weight, something you will certainly NOT feel a difference from. You'd be better off with an agressive alignment. I'm not speaking out of my ***, I've played with the options and I can honestly say unless you want to spend the big bucks and put hella 90mm HID's in buckets or your bumper, in terms of looks and lighting output sticking with the stock sealed beams is the best route.
What's wrong with using lights like these and putting(cutting holes for them) them into the full gt racing header panel like you have?

http://www.cardomain.com/item/PILNV510W

I would be interested to know if I would just do two per side for the high beam effect? Would the coverage pattern be sufficient and satisfactory?

And if there are any of these lenses from other cars that will fit the 951 bumper (but for a lot less?)
http://www.cardomain.com/shoplist~t~Bumper+Lenses

CALIFORNIA VEHICLE CODE

24400. (a) During darkness and inclement weather, a motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, shall be equipped with at least two lighted headlamps, with at least one on each side of the front of the vehicle, and, except as to vehicles registered prior to January 1, 1930, they shall be located directly above or in advance of the front axle of the vehicle. The headlamps and every light source in any headlamp unit shall be located at a height of not more than 54 inches nor less than 22 inches.

(b) As used in subdivision (a), "inclement weather" is a weather condition that is either of the following:

(1) A condition that prevents a driver of a motor vehicle from clearly discerning a person or another motor vehicle on the highway from a distance of 1,000 feet.

(2) A condition requiring the windshield wipers to be in continuous use due to rain, mist, snow, fog, or other precipitation or atmospheric moisture.

(c) This section shall become operative on July 1,

24401. Whenever any motor vehicle is parked or standing upon a highway any headlamp that is lighted shall be dimmed or on the lower beam.

24402. (a) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than 16 inches nor more than 42 inches. Driving lamps are lamps designed for supplementing the upper beam from headlamps and may not be lighted with the lower beam.

(b) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary passing lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than 24 inches nor more than 42 inches. Passing lamps are lamps designed for supplementing the lower beam from headlamps and may also be lighted with the upper beam.

24403. (a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two foglamps that may be used with, but may not be used in substitution of, headlamps.
http://www.aroundthecapitol.com/code...on=24400-24411

Last edited by 944J; 05-06-2006 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:19 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I should've added "In my opinion" to that, and by stock sealed beams, I meant Iceshark's upgrade is the best route other than the big bucks HID options.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:39 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 944J
What's wrong with using lights like these and putting(cutting holes for them) them into the full gt racing header panel like you have?

http://www.cardomain.com/item/PILNV510W
Honestly? Cause it will look like ***, and cheapo pepboys fogs arent going to give you as good of light as a 7" round light will.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:53 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This is a joke, right?

Please tell me you wouldn't seriously put those things on a 944.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:30 PM
944J
Banned

There was some pictures on year showing a full gt race header panel with 4 small light holes in them. Something like the strosek body kit, but different. It looks better than the bucket lights because the bucket lights are made for the 944 not 951 as far as I know.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:32 PM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
Honestly? Cause it will look like ***, and cheapo pepboys fogs arent going to give you as good of light as a 7" round light will.
So you did some side by side comparisons as to the output and performance? I'd love to hear about it.

What are the factors here besides watts? 55 watts is 55 watts. The 7" reflector will provide a less intense but larger reflector area, but is that a good thing?
Old 05-06-2006, 09:35 PM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by MPD47
I should've added "In my opinion" to that, and by stock sealed beams, I meant Iceshark's upgrade is the best route other than the big bucks HID options.
On your I see two round lights in each bucket. What kind of lights do you have in place of your stock fog lights there and do you drive that car on the street? How does it work? Any close up pictures of the front?
Old 05-07-2006, 03:49 AM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts

lights are more than just a XX watt bulb with some chromed thing behind them.

Fog lights have a specific light pattern. Headlights have a specific light pattern. Driving lights have a specific light pattern. Low beams have a different light pattern than high beams

I'm sure you can figure out the rest.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:24 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Mike has hella 90mm HID's in his bumper. thats not a cheap setup there in the least. He also spent a lot of time fabricating it to make it work, to make it adjustable etc.

Quick Reply: custom lights 951 (and california vehicle code for headlights)