Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87' 944 na new belts...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006 | 09:07 PM
mzman
Instructor

Default 87' 944 na new belts...

I just had the belts changed on my 87' 944 NA and now the engine has a noticable whining noise. The mechanic said that it always happens after changing the belts but I am not sure if I belive him.

He also said that this kit

http://www.rennbay.com/timing-belt-...5314f1aebfd68db

that I bought does not fit my year 944. Is he right?
Old 04-27-2006 | 09:14 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

First off, was it a mechanic who is familiar with a 944?

Belt whine is not totally uncommon, however if its super loud, i would first start by checking the balance belt to see if its over tensioned, its not hard to do as this belt is fairly loose compared to how it 'should' feel. Its also possible the idler pulley is to close to the balance belt, i think there should be something like .05-1mm of clearance between the two. My idler pulley is a bit to close, and the car sounds like it has a supercharger right now. I find a over tensioned timing belt makes more of a 'whiring' sound.

The link you provided does not work, but if that is the link to the timing belt tool kit...all the tools on that page will work on any 944 with the exception of the Kricket (belt tension gauge)...there is not sufficient space to use one on later 944's (like your '87) which have the automatic spring tensioner.
Old 04-27-2006 | 09:20 PM
devious944
Instructor

tell evryone its got a super charger. kinda like all those honda kids that take out some power steering fluid so their pump whines
Old 04-27-2006 | 09:25 PM
devious944
Instructor

how much did it cost to get the belts changed? their are two porsche shops in my town , just curious to see . i know for them to change out balance shaft seals it was gona cost 800 bucks for labor + parts.
Old 04-27-2006 | 09:33 PM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

http://www.rennbay.com/timing-belt-tool-kit-p-93.html

Is this the link? If so, they will work for your car. What did your mechanic use to tension the belts?
Old 04-27-2006 | 09:42 PM
mzman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
First off, was it a mechanic who is familiar with a 944?

Belt whine is not totally uncommon, however if its super loud, i would first start by checking the balance belt to see if its over tensioned, its not hard to do as this belt is fairly loose compared to how it 'should' feel. Its also possible the idler pulley is to close to the balance belt, i think there should be something like .05-1mm of clearance between the two. My idler pulley is a bit to close, and the car sounds like it has a supercharger right now. I find a over tensioned timing belt makes more of a 'whiring' sound.

The link you provided does not work, but if that is the link to the timing belt tool kit...all the tools on that page will work on any 944 with the exception of the Kricket (belt tension gauge)...there is not sufficient space to use one on later 944's (like your '87) which have the automatic spring tensioner.
The mechanic has done the belts on 944's before but he works on a broad range of cars.

And from your description it sounds like they have probaly gotten the balance shaft belt to tight.

As far as the tools go yes it is the Timing Belt Tool kit off of rennbay.com. That is really strange that he said the tools do not work for my year, only on newer cars... Also how am I supposed to check the tension on the belts without the krikit? I was told that the krikit works on my car, did I get the wrong thing?
Old 04-27-2006 | 09:47 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Trust me, the Krikit will not give consistant results..there is just not enough space to use it with the spring tensioner in the way. You can maybe try it with the balance belt, but i did not have much more success with that either. The options you have for tensioning are the Arnnworx tool (which is NLA due to a redesign in the works) or the actual Porsche tool. You cannot trust the spring tensioner to set proper tension as it will probably set the tension a bit to loose. You can tension by the 'twist' method, but really i cant explain it because im not familiar with it, nor do i really trust it. Everyone twists a little differently!

The other tools will work on the car, they are not completley neccesary, just make things alot easier. The big wrench is good for rotating the balance belt tensioner and the pin wrench is used to rotate the spring tensioner to take tension off the timing belt and to help you hold the balance shaft sprockets so you can remove them.
Old 04-27-2006 | 09:53 PM
mzman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Clint's 944
http://www.rennbay.com/timing-belt-tool-kit-p-93.html

Is this the link? If so, they will work for your car. What did your mechanic use to tension the belts?
Yep thats the link alright!
Old 04-27-2006 | 11:50 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Yea, it will whine a little (typically, not always) after a new belt install. It should go away after a while and it should absolutely be gone after the 1500 mile retension. Another thing to check is the 0.5mm clearance between the idler pulley and belt - a lot of people either skip gapping that properly or eyeball it. Could be the idler. . .
Old 04-27-2006 | 11:50 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Whoop - Techno beat me to it - just read the other posts. So yea, what he said. I'm betting the idler is too close.
Old 04-28-2006 | 05:08 PM
mzman
Instructor

Originally Posted by devious944
how much did it cost to get the belts changed? their are two porsche shops in my town , just curious to see . i know for them to change out balance shaft seals it was gona cost 800 bucks for labor + parts.
It cost me 380 after tax and everything. But that was just for labor I supplied the two belts and the o2 sensor.

Quick Reply: 87' 944 na new belts...