Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, I found the break in the headlight wire

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 04:27 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Well, I found the break in the headlight wire

The saga is almost complete.
After freeing the harness to lay it outside the body, I proceeded to carefully cut the sheathing back.
I think I found my break. What do you guys think? Could this be the problem? I dunno...hmm...

I'll cut back some of the larger hard sheathing to give me some more access, since the break is right where is starts. Solder both broken wires, maybe lay in some "liquid electrical tape" then heatshrink both wire, and heatshrink the cut portion of the sheath.

Maybe I'll lay in a couple extra inches of wire here...I dunno...

Old 04-25-2006, 04:34 AM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm Googling for ths "liquid electrical tape" you speak of...

post-search: Hm. Neat stuff. I'll have to pick some of that up.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:29 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by shmucklebuckle
I'm Googling for ths "liquid electrical tape" you speak of...

post-search: Hm. Neat stuff. I'll have to pick some of that up.
Yeh, it is. I first learned about it when repairing a competitor's product. The stuff is darn near impervious to anything.

Liquid Tape info
Old 04-25-2006, 08:06 AM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would go with crimp on butt splices and heat shrink.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:15 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right on! Ya found it!

Like I mentioned to ya before, if you can't work a little more slack over to the passenger side, so it won't keep putting that bundle of wires in such a strain, then do cut all three wires, and add about 2" length to it. I'd suggest cutting back the white wire insulation anyway, and taking a peeky. If one wire is broken, the other shows the insulation cracked, the white one isn't far behind in that same area (work stretched). Short solder joints, use adhesive ladened heat shrink, after you used some of that "liquid electrical tape" on the joint to completly seal it up (keep it small diameter and neat...). Split the original outter sheathing carefully, using a exacto knife, so you can peel it back to gain access to wires underneath. Do it clean enough, and you can either use super glue to join it back together again, and/or add tape around it. If your gonna add wire anyway, stagger the solder joints in the bundle, so they don't all fall in the same area, causing a huge bulge in one spot. DO NOT use window/butt splices here! Short, tidy solder joints. Crimp on butt splices will come back to haunt ya down the road, don't use 'em.

Quick Reply: Well, I found the break in the headlight wire